Sign in to follow this  
kiwi6539

LSD for 89 535i

Hello

Car doesn't have LSD and not sure if i really need one. does it make huge difference to the way the car handles?

Does anyone have a LSD for this model.

And any advice on how easy to install one?. or cost?

Hello

Car doesn't have LSD and not sure if i really need one. does it make huge difference to the way the car handles?

Does anyone have a LSD for this model.

And any advice on how easy to install one?. or cost?

the lsd adds hugely to grip if things are a bit slippery,think sharp uphill corners esp in the wet,or standing starts in the wet but if both wheels do start spinning in slippery conditions then its hard to keep or get control back.The rear end grip can overpower the front wheel grip in very slippery conditions .Most cars dont have LSD and you prolly dont lose anything excepet for "extreme" circumstances,but the e34 with a lsd has lots and lots of rear end grip.Its nice to have but not essential..the 540 would prolly benefit more,and most have asc instead.

It'll be an minimum of $800-1000 if you can find one, plus probably $100-200 installation, and I can't say if it will help in a 5 series.

Speaking generally, it improves rear end grip (stops inside wheel spinning), and makes the car more predictable through a corner under power and more stable under braking. The tradeoff is a slight increase in understeer.

It also makes it possible to do mean skidz, although I'm guessing that's not a priority.

(edit - oops beaten by a 5 series driver - probably not worth it)

Edited by CamB

Cheers for info guys. really glad I joined this site.

So you think in 535i it wouldn't make to much difference. I do like to drive hard and getting sideways is fun.

Would you say if you drive hard in wet it could be dangerous?

have one for sale.

makes a difference when driving 'sportly'. easy to fit up. 2 bolts to the subframe and 12 cap screws for the drive flanges

marty

It will slide more predictably under throttle, and if you drive hard they are a good investment. Based on my M3, you have to drive like a munt (or have inappropriate tyres) for it to be dangerous, even in the wet.

It will slide more predictably under throttle, and if you drive hard they are a good investment. Based on my M3, you have to drive like a munt (or have inappropriate tyres) for it to be dangerous, even in the wet.

the lsd only 25 per cent lock up .If you drive hard enough the spin the back wheels up and therefore lose traction with the lsd(ie both back wheels spinning and large cornering force = almost total loss of grip in the wet) you will prolly already have lost it before that...lsd or not

kiwi6539 - it does have a 25% LSD, and see kiwi535s answer for more detail on how much of a munt you have to be for it to be a problem, and why.

My race car has a much tighter LSD (extra clutch plates), and it has modified ramps so it engages more aggressively. It is much trickier to drive in the wet.

Cheers guys for the info.

Not worried about it now so it might still be car for me. Have wait till I see it!. The owner said he he will put on hoist for me look it over anything to look out for?