Sign in to follow this  
PORTNOY

M or not? is a motorsport E30 same as M-tech?

that would not make any difference to the spec of the vehicle, under the kit its an ordinary e30 325i which is what its registered as i presume.

The link is in my post above.

does your car have a black roof lining?

Yeah I know, just going off what you said in your previous speel about carfax saying it was a PFL (whatever that is) 325i with an M3 KIT. Was just curious to know how carfax would have known that my car has an M3 kit like you have stated.

Yeah I know, just going off what you said in your previous speel about carfax saying it was a PFL (whatever that is) 325i with an M3 KIT. Was just curious to know how carfax would have known that my car has an M3 kit like you have stated.

all good - PFL = pre facelift. Although my old motorsport was regd as an 86 and was facelift so yours could be the same.

I'm confused <_<

:lol: Got yourself all wound up again in your own little game champion?

I don't remember saying anything about me buying the car did I?

Just goes to show who's waiting to pounce. Now, run along and go play quietly.....

all good - PFL = pre facelift. Although my old motorsport was regd as an 86 and was facelift so yours could be the same.

Since this thread I've entered a few motorsport reg numbers into the great carfax and none have said M or submodel or how's ya father :lol:

Since this thread I've entered a few motorsport reg numbers into the great carfax and none have said M or submodel or how's ya father :lol:

heres a link to my old one that says M, and also submodel - II being mtech 2. It may vary with some cars.

carfax

Edited by JZGTE

Guest SamSpargo

Try these ones then:

http://www.carfax.co.nz/car/?plate=ua872&search=Check = UK spec 325i Sport

http://www.carfax.co.nz/car/?plate=DAL870 = NZ spec M325i / 325i Motorsport

Oh and you're going to LOVE this one:

http://www.carfax.co.nz/car/?plate=yy4111&search=Check

Guess what? It's got a bright red "Evo wide bodykit fitted in 1987 when brought in from the U.K by the Jensen family (Bmw franchise owners)" attached to it

Edited by SamSpargo

heres a link to my old one that says M, and also submodel - II being mtech 2. It may vary with some cars.

carfax

I've entered other M reg plates and just 325i shows up.

I guess it's the same as registering a vehicle.

Whatever is entered at the time will show up on the reg windscreen card.

Just like the mighty carfax :rolleyes:

Guest SamSpargo

Carfax isn't mighty, and whatever is entered on the rego will appear on the window sticker as well as car carfax.

The only infallable source is BMW, seing as they built the f**kers.

Carfax isn't mighty, and whatever is entered on the rego will appear on the window sticker as well as car carfax.

The only infallable source is BMW, seing as they built the f**kers.

Have you got a website where you can check the build sheet? I rang BMW and they said they only go back to 03'

carfax relies totally on what was said when it was registered....not reliable.BMW vin/build sheet is the only way to see what was optioned on the vehicle,even then it wont necesarily show up as an "m" car,as far as BMW AG were concerened they were a 325 with a few options....it was the dealers who made the big song and dance about them...

carfax relies totally on what was said when it was registered....not reliable.BMW vin/build sheet is the only way to see what was optioned on the vehicle,even then it wont necesarily show up as an "m" car,as far as BMW AG were concerened they were a 325 with a few options....it was the dealers who made the big song and dance about them...

Yeah, thought as much Kiwi ;)

F. ALL Y.I

My 86 E30 = black roof lining

Manual sunroof

elec window's, mirrors

check light box front of rear vision mirror

M steering wheel

ABS

S stamped on 3.64 diff

bilsteins

Low but not too low - M'Tech?

Yeah, thought as much Kiwi ;)

F. ALL Y.I

My 86 E30 = black roof lining

Manual sunroof

elec window's, mirrors

check light box front of rear vision mirror

M steering wheel

ABS

S stamped on 3.64 diff

bilsteins

Low but not too low - M'Tech?

oh another good thing to check is if you have a maplight rear vision mirror.

oh another good thing to check is if you have a maplight rear vision mirror.

No to the map light.

Apparently some had and some didn't have that option?

Edited by PORTNOY

Your either going to have a Genuine Motor sport or an option motor sport, very little difference. I imagine its possible to have an optioned one with exactly the same specs as a genuine one.

Buy wouldn't genuine MS be stamped WBS to indicate they were manufactured at MS GmbH rather than WBA from AG?

Is Mtech suspension quite different to standard 325i stuff? For the E30's whenever I go looking for bits there are two options to cater for mtech suspension and standard E30 stuff..

Was the swaybar mounted differently or am I confusing things with the M3?

Guest SamSpargo

Bu(t) wouldn't genuine MS be stamped WBS to indicate they were manufactured at MS GmbH rather than WBA from AG?

Negative. Only cars with S series motors get WBS chassis codes.

E30 M3 = S14 = WBS

E28 M5 = S38 = WBS

etc etc etc.

Although the 850csi motor could hardly be called an S series motor, 24 valve V12... and here's the one they should have used with 48 valves:

Posted Image

Negative. Only cars with S series motors get WBS chassis codes.

E30 M3 = S14 = WBS

E28 M5 = S38 = WBS

etc etc etc.

Although the 850csi motor could hardly be called an S series motor, 24 valve V12... and here's the one they should have used with 48 valves:

Posted Image

Oh well worth a go.

They should of put that engine in the e30

Is Mtech suspension quite different to standard 325i stuff? For the E30's whenever I go looking for bits there are two options to cater for mtech suspension and standard E30 stuff..

Was the swaybar mounted differently or am I confusing things with the M3?

mtech will be slightly lower slightly stiffer and bigger sway bars.The stiffness may well be due to the stiffer sway bars.It is not the same as the genuine article(ie the suspension found on an M3 or M5)

M3 swaybars mount differently at the front - off the shock - gives more leverage.

If we are talking about PORTENOYs car, its sort of irrelevant since the most obvious visual difference (the kit and wheels) have been changed.

IMHO, a set of decent springs, new shocks and an LSD do a good job of making a "regular" 325i drive like a M325i. And proper seats.

Your either going to have a Genuine Motor sport or an option motor sport, very little difference. I imagine its possible to have an optioned one with exactly the same specs as a genuine one.

Exactly. I have numerous original BMW E30 brochures at home, and from reading them there seems to be two types of so-called 'motorsport' E30s.

1) Original M325i - destined motorsport from the day the vin was assigned. Only avaliable in Coupe form with the common options stated elsewhere in this thread. Original Motorsport, customers bought a M325i, instead of a 325i with the Motorsport box ticked.

2) Motorsport optioned 325i or 320i - were originally created as 325i or 320i, and then the M options were added later - body kit, 14" or 15" Weaves etc in a "Motorsport Package" - I think Black headlining also came as part of this package, so you can't judge by having one. These were avalisble in Coupe or 4-Door, Manual or Auto. Basically a plain old 320i or 325i with the 'Motorsport' box ticked by the customer.

The BMW vin decoder avaliable online (bmw-z1.com or something) will tell you if your car is a REAL M325i or simply a motorsport optioned 325i. If it's real, M325i will appear under model, if it's an optioned one, 325i will appear.

Disregard anything that appears on Carfax, you can basically register a car as anything in this country. Once an importer register a C180 with AMG bits as a C36 AMG!

Edited by Eddy

Oh and you're going to LOVE this one:

http://www.carfax.co.nz/car/?plate=yy4111&search=Check

Guess what? It's got a bright red "Evo wide bodykit fitted in 1987 when brought in from the U.K by the Jensen family (Bmw franchise owners)" attached to it

Ooh, got pics? :)

One day, I'll own a 325 (would have been a 535, but I figure my driving style suits smaller cars :( ) with M Sport goodies, so keep this coming!

Sticky anyone?

They should of put that engine in the e30

Been done a few times.

I had pictures of a 316i one of those V12s in it cept twin turbo,

Real sleeper :P

Edited by //James