Sign in to follow this  
kiwi6539

Fuel economy for E34s

Hey all

Still trying to decide what 5 series to buy.

Auto-Manual?

And what size engine to get. Not loaded so fuel economy is important. But so is power:)

Any ideas how different it is between the 525i 535i 540i?.

Cheers

And what size engine to get. Not loaded so fuel economy is important. But so is power:)

Cheers

No E34 is economical! The only one that will do over 30mpg on a trip is a 525i, i know because i owned one for 17yrs.

To decide you need to drive a few of them.

manual 540b hard to find,but manual 535 not common either.540 will probably be slightly better on gas than a 535,but 535 slightlr cheaper/easier to work on in aother ways.My normal running gets bme about 550 kay for 62 litres,but i dont get caught in much traffic and i drive pretty eay most of the time.On the open road i would get well over 600 ks for 62 litres,but again i am pretty cruisy most of the time(a few third gear passing manouvres bring back the grin)

If fuel economy matters, I would recommend a 1993 or later VANOS equipped 525i. While it is slower than a 530V8, 535 or 540, it still goes well enough and provides semi-decent fuel economy. For the daily commute expect around 13-14 l/100km, but on the open road you can get it below 9l/100km.

If fuel economy matters, I would recommend a 1993 or later VANOS equipped 525i. While it is slower than a 530V8, 535 or 540, it still goes well enough and provides semi-decent fuel economy. For the daily commute expect around 13-14 l/100km, but on the open road you can get it below 9l/100km.

at 13-14 l 100 ks thats not much better thabn a 535...but if you are really stop go you could get ointo the 17 l 100 k in a 535 or 540....and a 525 i suspect