Sign in to follow this  
vanos

key replacement

Hi I need a spare key. At $364.84 plus GST (Keyless Entry) and 105.26 plus GST (Standard) from Dunedin BMW dealer I decided to hold off, as I am off to France for a month in a few days. I wonder if anyone has purchased a key from an European Dealer (outside of Germany - i.e. France). I am taking my VIN number and will try anyway, but just wanted to know your thoughts...........good or bad idea? I know I can't control exchange rates, but even so I wonder if it would be cheaper?

95 e36 323i. Thanks in advance.

Price sounds about right I'd say for NZ. If you are going to try overseas, bring proof of ownership for the car in addition of the VIN number. Honestly though, for the savings of less than a tank of fuel, is this worth the hassel?

Edited by my_e36

If you buy it from over seas when you bring it back it will have to be programed to the car in order to get the keyless entry working.

If you buy it from over seas when you bring it back it will have to be programed to the car in order to get the keyless entry working.

Not quite right swiggs.

The reason the keys are so expensive is that each key has a computer chip in them which is different in each car. This is why he needs the VIN number. With that information they can cut the key and insert the correct chip. No need to get it programmed later.