Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

m40 bits and pieces

Now that Im fully into restoring my e30, I wondered if anyone knew/had recommendations of what spark plugs and leads to use, nearly 200k later thought might make a bit of a improvement, its a 1.6 m40 if that helps. Just want to freshen the motor up a tad. Is there anything else anyone recommends I should do in regards to the engine + drivetrain i.e gearbox fluid while Im at it?

Cheers, Nathan

if its anything like the m20 motor the only leads you can use are genuine ones. unless there stuffed i wouldnt worry about them. as for spark plugs just go to bnt or repco or somthing and they should be able to tell you what it needs. dont need anything flash. just new ones will be fine. mr bmw has got his ignition pretty well set up. you realy need to be concentrating on intake and exhaust systeming really. give your engine the standard oil change as you would. dont put to thin a oil in. maby 10w or something. as for tranny unless its graunching or hard to get gears i wouldnt mess with it. maby put a lower ratio diff in. that will give you more acceleration. other than that just do your exhaust. headers and decent pipe will make a decent difference

Edited by sydwayz e30

Replace your coolant, engine oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter and replace your spark plugs (and or the cap) and your motor will be more than happy with you :P

Check the condition and level of your diff and gearbox oil/s

Edited by doughnut