Forrest

Standard e30 Rails on a Bucket Seat

Anyone adapted theirs to fit a seat?

Cheers

In JiB's car:

Jamex seat - from Jamex

Jamex brackets - came with seat

Jamex sliders - came with seat

Slightly ovalise the Jamex slider mounting holes (by about 1-2mm), and mount in standard position using appropriate hardware (it needed cap screws at the back I think, and 16mm head bolts at the front - the tricky bit is having something small enough to fit inside the rail).

Figure out what combo of organising the brackets and spacers that came with the seat/bracket/slider to get the seat to fit.

The alternative is to get something welded up, although that would technically need a cert.

Edited by CamB

In JiB's car:

Jamex seat - from Jamex

Jamex brackets - came with seat

Jamex sliders - came with seat

Slightly ovalise the Jamex slider mounting holes (by about 1-2mm), and mount in standard position using appropriate hardware (it needed cap screws at the back I think, and 16mm head bolts at the front - the tricky bit is having something small enough to fit inside the rail).

Figure out what combo of organising the brackets and spacers that came with the seat/bracket/slider to get the seat to fit.

The alternative is to get something welded up, although that would technically need a cert.

Sweet thanks man, havnt got the seat yet, picking up today comes without rails so trying to get around having to pay extra for specific rails. May just have to buy the jamex rails etc if anyone knows where I could get them from?

I think he paid less than $200 per seat with rails and brackets etc.

Do you have brackets?

http://www.nzkw.com/seats/mounts.htm

^ They have rails, and they have brackets to adapt to an E30 (which I've never looked at), but I assume they will raise the seat which is no good. From the picture the rails look similar to the Jamex ones which I modified. You should measure the distance between the E30 mounting points and ask what the distance is on the rails...

As far as I know I only get the seat itself, so no brackets. I may have a go at using on of those universal rails and see if i can get it to work

I paid low $300 for both seats inc bracket/rails

problem is with universal rails (which came w/ my buckets) mean that you lose the seatbelt anchorage. Which means you need a cert anyway.

if you modify the factory rails you can keep your factory seatbelt. You couuuuld argue that we haven't modified sea mounts...cos is still factory position. Not sure, talk to your certifier.

factory rails are heavy as which was more motivation. And i like very low seats, so....you might want to keep your factory rails...maybe your jamex can be bottom mounted?

I paid low $300 for both seats inc bracket/rails

problem is with universal rails (which came w/ my buckets) mean that you lose the seatbelt anchorage. Which means you need a cert anyway.

if you modify the factory rails you can keep your factory seatbelt. You couuuuld argue that we haven't modified sea mounts...cos is still factory position. Not sure, talk to your certifier.

factory rails are heavy as which was more motivation. And i like very low seats, so....you might want to keep your factory rails...maybe your jamex can be bottom mounted?

I will wait till I get the seat, ill put some pics up this arvo, then everyone can see what im working with

thanks for all the advice/help.

i wait in anticipation

in my old e30 i had some one adapt the original seat rails to fit the bucket seats i bought. it kept the sliding from front to back movement but i lost the raise and lowering of the seat. they also did it without modifying the seatbelt stalk mounting position so i didnt need a cert for it. all up the modifying cost me $400 but i didnt do any work myself.