Sign in to follow this  
Maccin

My E30's Running rough

Right so i have a 89 318i, ive had it for about 4 years now and never really had any major issues, apart from the central locking grrrrr!!. Anyway it hasn't been on the road much lately but when it is it runs very rough. When i go to start it the engine turns over a few times and then usually stalls and i have to try again 2-3 times to get it going. Once it's going it tends to idle very rough aswell. It also makes a loud ticking noise, which soon goes away after its warmed up.

I'm abit of a newbie when it comes to this sort of stuff and just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction??

cheers guys!!!!

Right so i have a 89 318i, ive had it for about 4 years now and never really had any major issues, apart from the central locking grrrrr!!. Anyway it hasn't been on the road much lately but when it is it runs very rough. When i go to start it the engine turns over a few times and then usually stalls and i have to try again 2-3 times to get it going. Once it's going it tends to idle very rough aswell. It also makes a loud ticking noise, which soon goes away after its warmed up.

I'm abit of a newbie when it comes to this sort of stuff and just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction??

cheers guys!!!!

The M40 is a simple engine. The ticking noise is prbably a lifter and the rough running could be moisture in the cap. Take it out and give it an Italian tune up i.e. a good thrashing - if that doesn't work then as James said your freindly mechanic is the man for the job. :D

As Bruce says, simple motor, ticking will be lifters, rough start etc may indicate worn cam as well if it's done a few K's. Probably needs a good service, best to get it looked at if you don't know motors.

lol man, get some new spark plugs + oil + oil filter...

if you dont change your oil very often, lifters can become sticky, and start to make a tapping or clicking noise. even after an oil change it could still make the noise

buy some "lifter-free" from repco, buy the nulon version if they have one. (WAAAYYY cheaper than getting your valves/guides adjusted, and alot of e30s make that ticking sound, its just a sign of wear in an engine)

is your battery really really old? get a new one if you can afford it (can solve crappy starting issues but is usually not the problem, but could fix your ignition problem when combined with new sparkplugs)

Edited by tune

Save yourself hte hassle and take it to someone who knows BMW's, if your in Auckland - see Glenn from Botany motorworkz.

It is hard to get an accurate picture of what needs to be done without actually seeing the car. Your starting issues are possibly a worn distributor cap, or maybe an ignition problem, it could be one of a number of things. Your best bet is to spend an extra few dollars and get a mechanic who knows these engines to have a look over it, he will be able to get to the route of the problem faster and probably with less trial and error. You can buggerize around buying new batteries, dizzy cap's etc etc. but at the end of the day, if you dont know what your looking at your probably best to leave it to the pro's to do it. You might end up replacing something that is perfectly good and doesnt fix the issue.

You can save yourself a few bob by changing your own air-filter which is just unclipping a bunch of clips and removing and replacing the old air filter, if you have done it before, change the oil and filter - not a biggy but if you mess it up you can be hit hard in the pocket.

Edited by bmw3