Sign in to follow this  
frankie

GPS unit

hi everyone, i have a japan import Touareg want to install the GPS system on it, i want to replace the OEM headunit. is it the US OEM unit will be working into NZ?

this is the ebay website, thanks

I'm not familiar with VWs but before you change the nav check and verify the following:

1. Is a NZ map disc available for the VW nav? Who made the nav? Who makes the nav disc? Can you buy the map in NZ?

2. Does the US model physically fit the Jap model space in the dash? Are the dash holes the same? Normally they are, but you should check.

3. Are the wiring connections the same as the Jap model? BMW is not (Jap BMW is different to Euro BMW), VW may, or may not be the same wiring Jap vs Euro.

4. Is the US software correct for use in NZ? NZ generally follows Euro specs. If not, do you have access to the tools to reprogram the nav?

All of the above and more was what I had to research and find answers to when i converted my first BMW from Jap nav to NZ nav

However, I've never done a VW.

At the very very least before you do anything more you should remove the existing Jap nav and photograph and document the connectors, and then compare with Euro / USA wiring.

PS. you should mention what Tourareg you have, there's lots of differences between a 2008 Tourareg and a 2004 model. The VW nav systems on the 2008 cars are much better than the 2004 models. But due to changes in CAN bus used in the VW, you may not be able to use a 2008 model in a 2004 car.

cool thanks jochen.

but i m a guy don't know anything about this one, my one is 2006 3.2L. i just thought change the unit and it should working in nz. looks like i m wrong. is that anyone who can help me out to find out those answer?

cool thanks jochen.

but i m a guy don't know anything about this one, my one is 2006 3.2L. i just thought change the unit and it should working in nz. looks like i m wrong. is that anyone who can help me out to find out those answer?

You could get a heck of a lot more help if

a) you stated what car you had initially, instead of having us guessing

B) you posted photos of what you have, instead of leaving us in the dark

c) you post photos of connectors on your existing radio, would help heaps

d) you advise us the results of your asking VW NZ if they have nav maps available for VW Touraregs, and if so, for what year?

PS: small tip: you're also asking in a BMW forum, so the info here is generally limited to BMWs and you'll be very lucky if anyone knows anything else about other cars.

A tiny insy bit of research using nothing more than Google reveals that:_

1. 2006 Touaregs had DVD-nav systems, not CD nav systems. That ebay auction you were watching was for a much older system than your car had ex-factory.

2. Here's the RNS510 VW nav system fitted to a 2004 Touareg:

Posted Image

Read more on this Touareg thread

3. The current nav system is the RNS510

4. Here's a good source of info too:

VW Passat 3c Navi FAQ

So you see, with Google you can find out lots of stuff.....