Sign in to follow this  
caleb

Service interval indicator & Mechanical Insurance

After completing Inspection I, my service interval indicator was reset to 25,000km.

I would assume the next service is another 25,000 km away?

My insurance company, requires car to be serviced every 15,000km. Isn't it a "waste" since on reaching the 15,000km mark I still have a good 10,000km before the next service is officially due...

Anyone on AA mechanical insurance having the same issue?

Edited by lufu

If this is an e46 model, then my understanding is that if you drive very carefully, then it is 25k till your next service. If you drive more spiritly, then the km wind back quicker and you may end up close to 15k till next service.

It has been a while since I had an e46 so others may chime in ...

I would take advantage and get it serviced every 15000kms according to your insurance.

Can't hurt it surely?

Gosh my car is serviced every 5000km.

And i'm pretty sure the e39 is done every 10,000-15,000

25,000 does seem a lot!

makes me wonder how accurate is the service interval. 25,000Km does seem a lot to me.

Most Japanese cars are on 10,000km interval

All newer BMWs can be configured to use a flexible Service Intervals. If the right engine oil is available (LongLife Oils) in this country, it's best to use that. The car has several sensors which measure the oil quality and driving style, ...

If selected, you can drive up to 25000km without having a service. It will probably reduce if conditions are not optimal.

For other countries service intervals of 15 or 10k can be selected. These are fixed ones!

5000km was used 20 years ago, no modern car needs to have an ouil change every 5k, except high performance cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini etc.

After completing Inspection I, my service interval indicator was reset to 25,000km.

I would assume the next service is another 25,000 km away?

My insurance company, requires car to be serviced every 15,000km. Isn't it a "waste" since on reaching the 15,000km mark I still have a good 10,000km before the next service is officially due...

Anyone on AA mechanical insurance having the same issue?

I'm a car dealer who sells these type of warranties, and the warranty company will want you to service the car every 15,000kms. or every 6 months.

You must have your warranty book stamped by the service agent and I would suggest you also keep the invoices as well.

These warranties are only an insurance policy and as such the warranty company will try to find reasons not to pay out, and the servicing of the car is the first thing that they look at.

Contrary to what others have posted here, I would never go 25,000 kms between services. I do my car every 5,000kms. and I don't race it, I just want to treat it properly, and if I service it regularly it will last a lot longer.

I'm with AA, and their requirement is either every 15000kms(?) or in accordance to manufacturer's specification. For my E60 it means 25000kms or every two years.

This is why I chose the AA as Protecta requires servicing every 10 or 15 thousand kms.

I'd tend to believe recommendations from BMW engineers and not some warranty guy/gal in NZ.

Gosh my car is serviced every 5000km.

And i'm pretty sure the e39 is done every 10,000-15,000

25,000 does seem a lot!

my e 34 service interval is about 15000....would surprise me if the E 39 were less....