Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

m50 questions

hhmmmmm this wil be an interesting build. havnt even stripped the motor yet and already asking questions.

ok

1. there was a round cylinder like thing with oil running through it on the front of the intake cam. is this a vanos system?

2. because the motor will be running different cams. and a turbo and a link would it be best to leave the vanos in? thats asuming it is vanos.

3. will the link be able to run the vanos?

4. kind of off topic. but what would you think would be best option for drifting, power steering or non?

any info apreciated. cheers

1. there was a round cylinder like thing with oil running through it on the front of the intake cam. is this a vanos system?

Vanos:

http://bmwfans.info/original/E34/Lim/525i-...11/ill-11_1282/

Non-vanos:

http://bmwfans.info/original/E34/Lim/525i-...11/ill-11_1281/

2. because the motor will be running different cams. and a turbo and a link would it be best to leave the vanos in? thats asuming it is vanos.

You might have to do more research on that one. I don't see how Vanos would hurt - I reckon it would help spool the turbo earlier, given the point of Vanos is to make he torque curve wide, etc. But..

3. will the link be able to run the vanos?

Depends which Link. The latest one runs dual vanos, so single shouldn't be a problem at all... I think I read somewhere that single vanos is pretty simple anyway.

4. kind of off topic. but what would you think would be best option for drifting, power steering or non?

What do the pro guys use? I would assume power steering.