Sign in to follow this  
dubio

E46 Aux Lead

Hi guys... will this work in my e46 business stereo? (tape) - it is already hooked up to the crappy jamming cd changer.

Im hoping this cable can replace and just plug directly to my mp3 player...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=188716614

Cheers guys!

Dubio

No, the BMW does not use the Alpine AI-Net control protocol.

BMW uses ibus, with a BMW-designed protocol.

Google and you will find CD changer emulators for the BMW

Remember, a car built before Sept 2001 will have an old-generation radio, with no native Aux-In. So a Cd changer emulator is required

After Sept 2001, the new-generation radio has a native Aux-In capability, so you can just get a cable from BMW.

If you want, you can change an old-gen radio-tape to a new gen radio-CD. You will need the following:

1. new gen radio

2. radio adaptor harness , Old Gen to New Gen

3. radio antenna adapter harness, DIN (OG) to Facra (NG)

4. New Gen Antenna amplifier

eBay is a good source for these parts.

Edited by jochen

No, the BMW does not use the Alpine AI-Net control protocol.

BMW uses ibus, with a BMW-designed protocol.

Google and you will find CD changer emulators for the BMW

Remember, a car built before Sept 2001 will have an old-generation radio, with no native Aux-In. So a Cd changer emulator is required

After Sept 2001, the new-generation radio has a native Aux-In capability, so you can just get a cable from BMW.

If you want, you can change an old-gen radio-tape to a new gen radio-CD. You will need the following:

1. new gen radio

2. radio adaptor harness , Old Gen to New Gen

3. radio antenna adapter harness, DIN (OG) to Facra (NG)

4. New Gen Antenna amplifier

eBay is a good source for these parts.

i've got a business md in my 2002 318ti but how would i tell if the cable will work? is there a number i can get from on the stereo to check against a database? i'd really like that cable put in so i can run my ipod. also not sure why md dropped off in popularity becuase it gives a really good quality sound. cheers

i've got a business md in my 2002 318ti but how would i tell if the cable will work? is there a number i can get from on the stereo to check against a database? i'd really like that cable put in so i can run my ipod. also not sure why md dropped off in popularity becuase it gives a really good quality sound. cheers

MD was fitted to cars in Japan, your car is likely ex-Japan.

Post 09-2001 means the radio is a new-gen radio

New-gen radios have Aux-In capability

MD was fitted to cars in Japan, your car is likely ex-Japan.

Post 09-2001 means the radio is a new-gen radio

New-gen radios have Aux-In capability

hey jochen, thanks for that. it is indeed a ex-jap. i went on realoem and it told me that my car has a production date of 01-2002. does that mean it's an aux-in capatible? is there a serial # on the radio i can get by magically pushing a combination of bottoms while doing a dance? :rolleyes: just want to be sure before i go to buy a FM transmitter for my ipod which i don't really like becuase i'v heard they produce crapy sound. also dont really want to cough up the $ for the cable if it doesn't work.

Edited by so54i88

Edit: just saw in the documentation that Aux-In was for cars from September 2002 and newer only.

Sorry.

Edited by jochen

If you don't mind loosing your CD changer I have the DICE range of iPod integration kits available in NZ. They also have an Aux In for other MP3 players. Its "line" quality not FM so a far better sound. If you're interested richard@gadgets4u.co.nz - wwwgadgets4u.co.nz

If you don't mind loosing your CD changer I have the DICE range of iPod integration kits available in NZ. They also have an Aux In for other MP3 players. Its "line" quality not FM so a far better sound. If you're interested richard@gadgets4u.co.nz - wwwgadgets4u.co.nz

More info for me thanks :)