Sign in to follow this  
drifty325i

My Lap Times Just Got Allot Quicker ! :)

Thanks to good old James (aka Jimmy) I've scored a bargain on some very slightly worn Michelin S46 racing slicks.

These were on an awesome Mitsubishi Ralliart bathurst starion but were a little to small so were taking off and put aside, apparently these were around $400-$500 each when new!!! I with the huge help from James scored them for $80bucks a pop :)

The sizing is weird though....24/61/16 I'm thinking in normal terms they are 240/60/16s? They should look great on the 16/7.5 Schnitzers can wait to get these bad boys warmed up on ruapuna and see if i can slice some seconds off the lap times and the 1/4 mile :)

post-204-1227676941_thumb.jpg

post-204-1227676967_thumb.jpg

Edited by Riley

I always assumed race tyres were referred to as (in your case) 240 wide, 61mm sidewall, 16" wheel.

Anyone know?

SO SO jealous!

Looking for a set of slicks too, probably end up getting semi's though as I still have yet to fix the oil sump issue on my 3.0.

The sizing is weird though....24/61/16 I'm thinking in normal terms they are 240/60/16s?

Michelins are a bit different in that they drop a "0" off the sizing, and the second number is the diameter( as is common on many racing tyres) Your tyres are the equivalent of a 240/610x16, so 240 wide, 610 diameter, 16 inch rim.You will probably need a 8"-9" wide rim to mount these on. I run 24/64x18's on my car, which are 240 wide x 640 high on an 18 inch rim.

A bit stiffer in the sidewalls than say a Dunlop, and probably take 1 1/2 laps or so to warm up, but really good tyres! Hope they aren't too old (they harden with age/number of heat cycles) You should have some fun on those!

Conrad

Edited by conrod

Michelins are a bit different in that they drop a "0" off the sizing, and the second number is the diameter( as is common on many racing tyres) Your tyres are the equivalent of a 240/610x16, so 240 wide, 610 diameter, 16 inch rim.You will probably need a 8"-9" wide rim to mount these on. I run 24/64x18's on my car, which are 240 wide x 640 high on an 18 inch rim.

A bit stiffer in the sidewalls than say a Dunlop, and probably take 1 1/2 laps or so to warm up, but really good tyres! Hope they aren't too old (they harden with age/number of heat cycles) You should have some fun on those!

Conrad

Driving on race tyres will cetainly enhance your grip at ruapuna, dove on my normal 19's then next time on yoko 235/45 17 race tyres, what a difference!

610 diameter

Doh! I had a vague feeling I got it wrong. Stupid coz I should know. I have looked at tyres sized that way before.

Conrad

Thanks for your info Conrad. I hope they will squash onto my 7.5s :) we will see. I also hope they will still be usable like you say, they were stored in plastic wraps and in a dark corner of a shop, the guy i brought them off said they will be fine not 100% but pretty close to it. Only time will tell i guess. there is no cracking at all and no visible signs of aging, the rubber still feels soft so lets hope they are still ok. He also said they would take a good few laps to start to work again like you say

Riley

Driving on race tyres will cetainly enhance your grip at ruapuna, dove on my normal 19's then next time on yoko 235/45 17 race tyres, what a difference!

My road tires were fairly good around ruapuna for about 2laps then they turned to jelly lol

SO SO jealous!

Looking for a set of slicks too, probably end up getting semi's though as I still have yet to fix the oil sump issue on my 3.0.

If these are buggered ill prob get some semi slicks as well. James (Jimmy) has a good hook up for them to!!

Just got them to fit the tires on the 7.5 Schnitzers :) they fit very well and will give me alot of rubber to the ground. I couldnt quite belive how good the condition of these tires are, this ones BRAND new!!!!

post-204-1227752027_thumb.jpg

Dam those tires look HOT :lol:

I knew they would

As Riley mentioned earlier I was checking out some Hankook Z211 Semi slicks suitable for Wet/Dry and Road use ( dot legal )

With a mates rates price they are around $180 each per tire fitted and balacned.

I hear the hard compound is good for 30,000 kms and according to the owner of the tire shop a lot of guys are using these on road cars also.

Edited by Jimmy

Dam those tires look HOT :lol:

I knew they would

As Riley mentioned earlier I was checking out some Hankook Z211 Semi slicks suitable for Wet/Dry and Road use ( dot legal )

With a mates rates price they are around $180 each per tire fitted and balacned.

I hear the hard compound is good for 30,000 kms and according to the owner of the tire shop a lot of guys are using these on road cars also.

Keen for a set soon Jimmy, does he have any deals on toyo r888's?

Keen for a set soon Jimmy, does he have any deals on toyo r888's?

what size are you after? We get pretty sharp deals on the Toyo's.

My Guy only Deals on Hankook Tires

But perhaps you could go have a chat to him about what he does have.Quality Tires 213 Lichfield Street, Of course where a forum sponser can help you out i suggest that as well B)

Edited by Jimmy

what size are you after? We get pretty sharp deals on the Toyo's.

I was thinking along the lines of 235/40/17? On semi slicks, that should be plenty of grip...

have got a set of 24/64r18's if any ones keen,

each tire has a tiny flat spot but perfect for track days.

was planning on using them on my e30 but dont have any rims i can use

Just got them to fit the tires on the 7.5 Schnitzers :) they fit very well and will give me alot of rubber to the ground. I couldnt quite belive how good the condition of these tires are, this ones BRAND new!!!!

Looks a little pinched, but I'm sure it will work and be great fun.

Just be careful if you haven't driven hard on slicks before, when they get to the limit they let go fast, not nice and gradual like your road tyres.

Now you will find your suspension is way too soft and don't have enough camber, so watch the outside edges on the front as they will get nice and hot when the tyre rolls on the rim + the body roll. Speaking from experience.

I'd expect camber to be +3.5degrees and springs at least 600lbs/in on the front (Plus a fat roll bar) for slicks on an E30.

I don't suppose you want to comment on that Conrad in reference to your M3??

That is close what I am running now with 240/625 R17 Slicks (8.5 & 9" rims).

Edited by E30-323ti

Nice that's some very valuable information, thanks. Ive driven a few cars on slicks but only race cars so will be quite different compared to a road car with soft springs and little camber, ill have to take it easy for a while. Looking forward to installing my adj camber kit on the front.

I'm looking at running -2.7 degrees on the front, 0 toe and close to max caster.

Edited by Riley