Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Road/Track Tyre Help

So now that my project is nearing an end, I thought I would not skimp out on tyres, and ask bimmersport's opinion

Yes, I am only using bottlecaps.

I have three options,

1. Keep the shitty korean tyres that are on their atm and cane them within a inch of their life.

2. I have one bottlecap with a Bridgestone Grid III (I know they are good tyres my dad has them on his Fraser) on it so was just going to get another 3 if someone knows a store that stock them in welly? 205/14

3. Find something else semi slicky, toyo etc or an alternative brand/model to the bridgestones.

If anyone has something for me that would fit the bill, can travel north to palmie, PM or post here.

Thanks in advance, Nathan

Edited by Forrest

Do a search mate this has been done to death with everyone having a different opinion.

Whenever there has been a consensus its that you cant go wrong with either the new Nexen's from our friendly tyre sponsor ;) or a set of Direzzas. If your looking at spending a little more then F1's or FK452's will do the job.

It really depends on what you predominantly want the tyre for.

If you want a track tyre use the Toyo R888, being a semi-slick tyre it is still road legal, but not really recommended for wet weather driving.

If you want a road tyre then as Penry said there has been plenty of debate about them on other parts of this forum.

Penry, you still have those 15' bridgestone tyres for sale??

Potentially looking at finding some cheap 15' wheels if anyone has any that would fit a e30 perfectly.

Cheers for the comments boys, all taken on board

Yes mate I do. Two have 'provisionally' sold Im still waiting to hear from the bloke but as your in Wellington your welcome to come and have a look at them.

Send me a PM

I was using a seperate set of wheels/tyres for track use. And eco tyres for street use. This was the cheapest way of doing it for me.

Choose your tyre before you choose your wheels. I wanted to use the series size which is 205/50R15, so I got 15x7's. If you want 205/55R14 (available in Toyo RA1's) then you should go for a 14x6 to 14x7.

I would go for a track specific tyre like the R888 - they can withstand abuse, great in both wet and dry. More importantly they give you plenty of confidence to learn about your car.

Seeing that you have a very light E30 with not much power, maybe you wouldn't need so much rubber? I'm not sure how much cheaper soft compound road tyres like the AD07, RE01R, RE011, Falken, Ventus RS2 (Z212), etc are but they may be worth a look.

Of course, all of the above can be had second hand. But make sure the tyres you buy are not too old/cracked/damaged.

There is a great range of track oriented tyres in 15" but wheels for E30's are a pain in the butt to find. I would see if any of the E30 series competitors are selling some 2nd hand wheels.

Edited by JiB

Thanks JiB, that was exactly what I wanted. Am on the lookout for some 2nd hand wheels, have a couple weeks to sort something anyway.

Want to find something that is the best comprimise between safe enuf in all conditions on the road and wont give up after a lap or two on the track