Sign in to follow this  
petone

Central Locking

Not sure if anyone else doesn't have central locking but I pulled it off my mates car and stuck it in my car today (along with leather seats :D ). Its relativly easy and you only need 3 parts: the locking mechanism, the motor, and the link between the two. Everything else can be reused. The 2 and 4 cars use a different locking system but some parts might be the same (motors and maybe the locking mechanism). The hardest part is hooking it all up because you have to do it inside the door and there isn't much room.

Boot: This is way harder than the doors becuase you actually need to change the locks over. You have to pull apart the original boot lock, then pull out the cylinder with all the little slide things in it. Do the same with the central lock boot until you have both cylinders next to each other. Now carefully pull the little gates (i don't know what they called) and swap them over. You have to make sure you get them in the exact same place or your key wont fit. Put the new lock all back together and bolt it up. Get a motor and linkage and put in the boot, (the mounts are already there)

Normally you would have to wire it all up in which case you will need the central lock computer but i'm hoping to hook it up to my alarm. Can anyone tell me if this will work?

One more thing, the motors are colour coded depending on which door they are supposed to go in.

my central locking never worked unitl i got my new battery so now when i unlock my doors they all unlock but i cant get them to lock so i have to lock them all manually its a bitch i really need to get a bentley manual

Normally you would have to wire it all up in which case you will need the central lock computer but i'm hoping to hook it up to my alarm. Can anyone tell me if this will work?

Yellow with a blue stripe & green with a blue stripe hook up to the alarm to trigger the CL. Brown with violet stripe is the alarm trigger. The wires are located behind the drivers side front speaker

Were all cars prewired for central locking? Otherwise i doubt they'd be there.

I haven't come across one that didn't have it, but I've only had 6.

All E30 have a connection in the loom where the additional CL wiring plugs in.

You still have to fit that wiring and the CL control relay to make it all work, either with or without an alarm

my central locking never worked unitl i got my new battery so now when i unlock my doors they all unlock but i cant get them to lock so i have to lock them all manually its a bitch i really need to get a bentley manual

Ryan, your relay is stuffed.

I'll take your word for it. It doesn't matter anyway, the alarm is going in this week and the guy said it can be done with out the factory relays.

Out of interest, what else is prewired? I know foggies are but what about windows, cruise control etc?

I'll take your word for it. It doesn't matter anyway, the alarm is going in this week and the guy said it can be done with out the factory relays.

Out of interest, what else is prewired? I know foggies are but what about windows, cruise control etc?

Why would you want the alarm installer to fit aftermarket gear when you friends car will have the stuff you need. :wacko:

Everything is prewired, there are what the factory calls "special equipement" plugs all over the loom where different options plug in. Most of them are behind the glove box, but their are others in the engine bay for an electric cooling fan, air con etc and more behind the kick panels in the front and in the steering column.

Easy, just fit a replacement relay.Its the little black box behind the drivers speaker.

wat kind of price are we talking here or is it just a dirt cheap replacment?

wat kind of price are we talking here or is it just a dirt cheap replacment?

I'd hate to think what they cost at the dealers, but I've got 4 spares

He has to install the alarm anyway, the alarm doesn't need anything extra to work with the central lock. i just take the wires from the actuators to the right kick panel and he will wire it all up. Simple. What else would i need from my mates car?

I can only tell you about installing the door motors part. I never did the wireing becuase its all hooked into the alarm. BTW got it installed today and its working with the alarm fine. The only thing is if you manualy lock or unlock a door it will be independent of the others. I didn't take any pics sorry, its quite hard to see anyway, all behind the door. It pretty easy to do, only took half hour per door.

The only thing is if you manualy lock or unlock a door it will be independent of the others.

Thats why you need to fit the factory control relay :banghead:

Is that where the other wires on the lock motors come into it? Theres 5 wires on most of the motors but i'm only using 2. Also are the switches on the door lock cylinders for activating the unlock inhibit.? I take it the factory lock relay controls all this as well? Another question, where would i find all the existing wires? I couldn't find any in the doors, is it all hidden behind the kick panels?

when you find it can you please post pics? Am in the midst of doing a restoration of sorts on the car (whenever I have time) and would like to update some parts of it.