Sign in to follow this  
mrad01

BMW Track day

Hi all, just got back from a BMW track day at Pukekohe (invited by Clint at Jerry Clayton BMW - thanks)

Anyway, got to drive a 123d, 130i, Z4 and M3 Coupe V8. I would have to say that apart from M3 - the 130i was a standout machine!

If you haven't done it, it is well worth it.

First we had to do a braking test - hauling down from 60KMH in about 10metres of space - then 70KMH in a bit more. Next, we did about 20 laps in the cars swapping cars and drivers every 2 laps, then finally, a slalom challenge.

The 1-series chassis was awesome around the track - I would love to know if anyone has seen/building a race car around the 1-series?? I think it has potential!

oh man - ive done it too but the enjoyment is in not knowing whats next and what your oging to do in those lovely machines.. Dont give away too much. as it kinda kills the excitement for people that havent done it.

Edited by bmw3

oh man - ive done it too but the enjoyment is in not knowing whats next and what your oging to do in those lovely machines.. Dont give away too much. as it kinda kills the excitement for people that havent done it.

Fair enough! But they tell you exactly what you are doing when you get there!!!

I'm keen to do it again one day...

I'm guessing this is only for 25yo and above? I can't really see them handing M3 keys over to me for a blat.

I'm guessing this is only for 25yo and above? I can't really see them handing M3 keys over to me for a blat.

Haha, +1. :(

Sounds like you did the BMW Advanced Driver Day Level 1. I took my management team to do the Level 1 course last year to Puke and we had a blast. Before I did the course, I thought the 130i was a bit too entry level for BMW until I drove it around Puke. That changed my view of the 1 series.

This year we did Level 2 course at Ruapuna which is similar but everything was a bit faster and more fun coz we knew what we were doing. Of course the team can't wait to do Level 3....

If anyone can't think of a good present for someone for Xmas, buy them a voucher for the Level 1 course. I shouted my wife the experience for last Xmas and she really enjoyed it. So much so that she now lets me do some spirited driving and feels totally at ease where as before driving with her was a bit like driving with the hand brake on. (i hope she doesn't read this :) lol

It is the best money you can spend as now when I take a potential car for a test drive, the first thing I do is test the brakes. I would have never done that before this course.

They race the 1 series as a single class overseas - for instance I am pretty sure they were the celebrity car class a couple of years ago at the Melbourne F1.

There is a race prepped one somewhere in the country - it raced last year or the year before in the Production Racing Series.

The 1-series chassis was awesome around the track - I would love to know if anyone has seen/building a race car around the 1-series?? I think it has potential!

Mike Eady the BMW driver training instructor and owner of www.tracktime.co.nz has a fully build up 130i 5 door race car with bmw performance brakes and couple of other things. I heard last time that he was doing a sub 1.08 around Pukekohe in it ... impressive times for a stock standard motor.

Oh and he uses that car for private track training .. I think it's something like $20 a lap ... with him in the passenger seat.

I believe he also rally that car or competes in some MANZ sanctioned event .. can't remember.

Edited by M3_Power

Mike Eady the BMW driver training instructor and owner of www.tracktime.co.nz has a fully build up 130i 5 door race car with bmw performance brakes and couple of other things. I heard last time that he was doing a sub 1.08 around Pukekohe in it ... impressive times for a stock standard motor.

Oh and he uses that car for private track training .. I think it's something like $20 a lap ... with him in the passenger seat.

I believe he also rally that car or competes in some MANZ sanctioned event .. can't remember.

Oh, that's why the 1-series was in the selection of cars I guess - Mike took our training yesterday...

Like the e30 series - a 130i series would be just awesome!

Jim Boult was running a 130i in the tier 1 production class in 07, ran mid to back of field.

What was your speed down the back straight in all the various cars?

In the Z4 and 130i I was up to about 190kmh (but we really had to stay in line with the lead driver) The M3 was up to 210. I think the Z4 and 130 could go higher.

When we went on the hotlap in the M3 with Mike, we clocked 245...not bad for a production car with 4 people in it!!!

Heh cool :) In my VR-4 I get up to 235kmh, so not far behind the M3!

add 3 passengers and see how you go....