Sign in to follow this  
speedyg

E30 325i fan loose.... waterpump? Urgent

Drove from Chch to Nelson today, halfway here the car started making a rattle which got louder with the revs, couldn't see anything obvious and managed to make it here.

I thought it was the power steer pump but that feels fine.

Then noticed that the cooling fan was loose and the pulley it is attached to, the fan has been skimming the radiator.

So as the pulley has got a wobble in it does this mean the water pump is stuffed? (The bolts holding the pulley on, are tight.) I had a new waterpump fitted about 2.5 yrs ago so it should last longer than that? Car is running at normal temp too.

Does anyone know a good place in Nelson to get this fixed? As it is the first time I didn't bring my tool box!!! Typical!

I am driving to Picton on Christmas day too so it really needs to be fixed tomorrow.

Thanks for any help.

Could be the viscous fan or water pump - need to confirm where it is loose. If the 32mm fan nut doesn't move with the fan movement then it is the viscous unit. If the whole shaft/fan moves as one (as you suggest) then it is the pump.

Could be the viscous fan or water pump - need to confirm where it is loose. If the 32mm fan nut doesn't move with the fan movement then it is the viscous unit. If the whole shaft/fan moves as one (as you suggest) then it is the pump.

The fan spins smoothy and the whole shaft is moving so looks as though it is the waterpump. I'm going to be lucky to get one of those fitted the day before Christmas in Nelson!!!!