Sign in to follow this  
Zee 316i

Stupid Question i almost feel silly asking....

Ok please bear with me here......

I am really a newbie to anything majorly car related they have always been for me just a means of transport until i got my BMW wherein things have begun to change.

Now the stupid question.... E S & M modes...

I am assuming they are Economy, Sport & Manual? Correct?

What major difference does each mode to do to the way the car drives? I normally sit in E mode but i have never tried M mode to know what it does and i dont want to do something thats going to damage it.

I tried to search but found nothing to help, can someone please provide what is probably the most simple answer ever....

Thanks

E means your gearbox should change up at the earliest possible moment in order to try and save fuel.

S means your gearbox will stay in gear for longer and use the full extent of the rev range.

M means you can 'lock' your gearbox into the current gear. So say your cruising up a hill and find your changing into 3rd on the short straights but back to 2nd for the corners and its getting a little tiresome. When your in 2nd you can put it into M and it shouldn't change up when you get on the straight.