Sign in to follow this  
htra024

E46 Couple!

Dear all,

Im newbie here and have not own any bmw.

I now look for a bmw E46 couple. Would you recommend me to buy 318, 328 or 330?

What are the different between these engine apart from the power.

The model year 99-00 just look so similar, the model year 01-02 look abit different interier as the steering wheel, I prefer the newer steering wheel look :rolleyes: . Which one is the best would you recommend me to go ahead? How to compare the fuel useage between these? As Im driving the Skyline R33, it alway take me 40l for about 200k city road and 90l for 500k on the highway. Its too much for me. :o

I look around on TradeMe, I would set my budget around 12k+.

Thank you so much for your help.

Kelvin

Buy a 330.

The difference is the 318 is a 4 cylinder, while the other 2 are 6 cylinders.

The 6 cylinders will have better torque and IIRC they have double vanos. The main difference with the engines are power. Arguably the 318 isn't that economical because you've gotta put your foot down all the time for it to move, and seeing the e46 is a heavier shape, a 323 might be a better alternative.

The interiors are just specc'd, facelift was '04.

If your budget is 12k good luck finding any. I've had a quick look and even '99 318's are 15k.

Can't comment on fuel usage but if your worried about that from the start you should get a little honda jazz.

COUPE

Thanks Nick021.

I just wonder why you would recommend to go for 330? Is that bcoz of 330 give more power than 328 or what?

However, would i buy angel eye headlight or xenon headlight? What are the pros and cons of these light? I dont have any experience so I wonder with the angel eye, the rings are so small therefore they would not be able to produce as much bright I guess.

Thank you so much.

Kelvin

Thanks Nick021.

I just wonder why you would recommend to go for 330? Is that bcoz of 330 give more power than 328 or what?

However, would i buy angel eye headlight or xenon headlight? What are the pros and cons of these light? I dont have any experience so I wonder with the angel eye, the rings are so small therefore they would not be able to produce as much bright I guess.

Thank you so much.

Kelvin

The 330 has just that much more punch. 190 for the 325 compared to 230 for the 330 (bhp), big difference. Will most likely depreciate slower, and they're usually more highly specc'd.

Angel eyes replace the park lights and should produce the same amount, if not, more light than the normal halogen bulb. Although in the OEM setup this might not be the case, because the angel setup from factory is lit by bulbs. Aftermarket though you want a good quality kit otherwise they'll just burnout. Angels aren't full beam lights, mainly there for looks. You'll be hard pressed to find a range of e46's with them from factory cause afaik they are pretty rare OEM.

Go Xenon if you can, no downsides. Better visibility, the white looks better, its just better.