Sign in to follow this  
Deano

E21 LSD

goodluck man, hard to come by and usually cost a fair bit.. maybe a few mods and fit a skyline diff?

there was a e21 LSD on TM about a year ago that had a starting price of $800 that didnt sell...might still be around

does anyone know if any other clutch packs fit standard dif?

Any small case BMW LSD centre should fit. So you need to find one of those AND a diff with a 3.45 ratio, as I suspect you are unlikely to find them together here in NZ, especially in an e21 case.

For example, my race car diff is a 4.27 e21 LSD with a r&p from an E30 318i.

Any small case BMW LSD centre should fit. So you need to find one of those AND a diff with a 3.45 ratio, as I suspect you are unlikely to find them together here in NZ, especially in an e21 case.

For example, my race car diff is a 4.27 e21 LSD with a r&p from an E30 318i.

So are you saying I can convert my standard diff 3.45:1 to LSD?

So are you saying I can convert my standard diff 3.45:1 to LSD?

For sure - a BMW small case LSD centre should fit in it replacing your open centre. It won't be cheap, but at least you have a better chance of finding it. They should be installed by someone who can check the backlash, etc.

Theoretically small case LSD centres are the same for E21, E30 (not that you are likely to find one), and E36 for those cars with small case diffs.

Info here:

http://www.metricmechanic.com/pdfs/metric-...ial-booklet.pdf

Edited by CamB

I have a guy in the States who sends me LSD centers, I'll see if he can get any small ones, probably around $6 to $7 hundred tho, are you interested? Diff specs in Manukau will do a pinion and ring gear swap for $200.

I have a guy in the States who sends me LSD centers, I'll see if he can get any small ones, probably around $6 to $7 hundred tho, are you interested? Diff specs in Manukau will do a pinion and ring gear swap for $200.

Yes I would be keen. E21's are bad enough in the rear end and getting traction with a 2.3 was bad. I have a large concrete paver in the boot to help. When the 2.7 goes in it will be hopeless.

none of the options are easy or cheap. if you're super keen, save your money and just weld up the centre.

i did a skyline diff into my e21 and it was not cheap. now im considering upgrading to an aftermarket centre on top of that, which will cost another $1500 plus, to get decent lsd action.

I notice that there are two e21 LSDs on Trademe.

One the guy wants $2500 for. Good luck. It's a bizarre price. For that you can almost fly to America, buy one (the prices have gone up there though), and bring it home in your luggage with a free holiday included.

The other is also $2500, but it comes with a free 323i. :lol:

Edited by CamB

I notice that there are two e21 LSDs on Trademe.

One the guy wants $2500 for. Good luck. It's a bizarre price. For that you can almost fly to America, buy one (the prices have gone up there though), and bring it home in your luggage with a free holiday included.

The other is also $2500, but it comes with a free 323i. :lol:

I said that to the seller and he told me that I was a dreamer...$2500..come on.

If I had room I would buy that 323i..swap out the diff..sssh

I said that to the seller and he told me that I was a dreamer...$2500..come on.

If I had room I would buy that 323i..swap out the diff..sssh

That's the thing, $2500 is so high its ridiculous. Based on a quick look, I reckon you could get a small case LSD centre for about US$300-$400 which is approx NZ$750. Even allowing for **AIR FREIGHT** (its probably well under 10kg) and GST etc, plus a rebuild to put it into your existing diff, you couldn't get close to $2500. You'd struggle to get to $1500 (which is more than buying the small case LSD on Trademe at $1200 anyway), unless you started into adding extra clutch plates and changing the ramp angles (and even then $2k would be hard to go past).

that 323i on trademe for $2500 doesnt have the LSD fwi. the lsd was a optional extra and when i spoke with him he was only going by what he was told....

that 323i on trademe for $2500 doesnt have the LSD fwi. the lsd was a optional extra and when i spoke with him he was only going by what he was told....

So buy it, insist on the LSD, or a reduction in price (eg $2500 being the Trademe price, haha) for no LSD. Because currently he is misrepresenting it.

(edit - yes, I know that won't work - its a joke, although he shouldn't misrepresent it if he has had that discussion with you)

Edited by CamB

Hey Dean

I'm pretty sure you've asked me about the e21 lsd on trademe.I have a contact in the states who I get all my diffs from but with the dollar as bad as it is they are getting even more expensive.You might be able to use the ring and pinion from the small case diff but the actual centre seems different.The cadting around the speedo trigger- we looked at this as it was going to work out slightly cheaper.I have tony out at steelie gears do my ring and pinion swaps.Have you looked at fitting the larger e28 medium case diff?

Darren