Sign in to follow this  
joshnz

E30 stalling/not running

Picked up the old edirty off ashkan few days ago, has been running sweet, until today.

I was just driving along, it spluttered a couple of times and completely died, it restarts but it doesn't run for long before stalling. Can get up to 50kph in 4th like normal and it just cuts off. ..seems to happen more at low revs .. we replaced the distributor rotor because that looked pretty poked and we thought that could be the problem, but its still the same, seems only to happen after then engine has been running for a few minutes.

Have been told to check crank angle sensor, but im not to sure what im looking for?

Can you guys offer any advice?

Engine is a M20B25 is thats any help.

Think we have narrowed it down to intake or something around that area, as it just seems to be starving on air once its warmed up a little bit.

i would suggest checking all the cold start system. looking for air leaks etc.

How does it run when cold and idleing?

This sounds like a problem with either your intake or for some reason the air fuel mix goes up the shoot when warm.

Oh dude, check the ECU. there is a dial you can turn on it. See if that does anything?

Oh dude, check the ECU. there is a dial you can turn on it. See if that does anything?

ECU .. is that the box just to the right of the steering column with motronic on it?

I can't see dial on it if its that ... although I don't know, I don't do E30s very well!

i would suggest checking all the cold start system. looking for air leaks etc.

How does it run when cold and idleing?

This sounds like a problem with either your intake or for some reason the air fuel mix goes up the shoot when warm.

It runs fine when its cold, just as soon as it starts to warm up it will just splutter, can't keep the revs up and it dies.

And doesn't restart until left for a few mins to cool down.

It's on the under side where you can't see it. Give it a go but doubt it'll do anything.

Not yet, auto elec didn't get a chance to scan it today, so hopefully tomorrow, fingers crossed its something simple that I've overlooked.

ECU was f**ked, auto electrician opened it up and there was liquid or something spilled through it (not water) and it looked as if someone had attempted to "chip" it, $75 for new ECU and couple hundred in labour and its all sorted, finally, great.

Yep. thanks to melowpuf, the killer was the labour on trying to track the f**king fault in the first place.