Sign in to follow this  
tenga

driving belts

today i was driving home 318i e36 1992 sedan and my fan belt that connects to the alternater snaped but luckily i was like 2kms from my place so its wasnt long of a drive till i got home and realised what happened.. i got all my belts changed on 16/08/08 and now they have snaped doing only 20,000kms... do you reckon if i go back to the people who changed the belts to say what went wrong and is there an explaination for it?

Could be anything from damaged or out of line or worn pulley. Belt could have picked up a stone & been damaged. Or - was it infact replaced? Do you have the reminents? May be able to tell from that? DONT drive the car without belt.

all my belts was replaced on that above date... i just took the belt out and saw half the teeth of the belt was gone.. and it snaped.. how can that have happened in that short amount of time? because before replacing them i had my old ones for nearly 1 year and a bit till i realised i needed to change it..

Edited by tenga

Could also be something more sinister too - like a ceased bearing in the alternator or a/c compressor etc (I have no idea what else is on the same belt on these).

Get it checked pronto.