Sign in to follow this  
bmpower

HELP please

Is the fan fitted to the correct side of the Viscous coupling? With most of these you can fit the fan either side, maybe someone fitted it incorrectly at some stage and fitment has just been copied ever since...

If the fan is hitting the rad, either it's too far forward, or the radiator is too far back. Make sure the rad is seated in its mounts (at the bottom) properly, and make usre the motor is sitting square on the engine mounts.

The pool of coolant could be because your motor was overheating and it came out the expansion tank overflow.

The radiator is as far forward as it can go, and is sitting in the bottom mounts and is done up tight on the top bolt. The engine mounts look fine as said before.

On the occasion when the coolant came out the car wasn't overheating, and was before i jammed the fan again. It may of just been coolant coming out of the overflow though.

....something is definatly not in the right place thats for sure!

Just a random thought - does the fan have any play in it?

Do you mean forwards and backwards play? No it doesn't, however i will double check.

Is the fan fitted to the correct side of the Viscous coupling? With most of these you can fit the fan either side, maybe someone fitted it incorrectly at some stage and fitment has just been copied ever since...

As long as this diagram is correct then yes it is. The 4 bolts holding the fan to the coupling go from the rear to the front ie. the heads are on the back of the fan. If that makes sense?

The problem is the fan cannot go further forward because it is already jamming on the rad, and it can't go back anymore because it is already making contact with the rad hose. There just isn't enough room for it all!

post-1740-1236148436_thumb.png

Have you actually removed anything and tried to see whats causing it? Or are we still on the same "where is it jamming" issue? I would remove the shroud or do something to see whats happening before proceeding.

Have you actually removed anything and tried to see whats causing it? Or are we still on the same "where is it jamming" issue? I would remove the shroud or do something to see whats happening before proceeding.

Yes i am getting round to removing the rad and shroud - will prob be done next weekend as i work funny hours etc.

However did have time to change my tranny mounts today - and it made no difference to the fan jamming. However the car changes gear smoother!

Will update after i have taken the shroud off.