Sign in to follow this  
Mike.Gayner

Knocking Suspensopm

The front suspension in my e34 is knocking over small bumps - what's the likely cause of this? Thanks.

edit: Sorry about the title, my keyboard has been jacking off and it's driving me nuts. Obviously that's supposed to read "suspension".

Edited by Mike.Gayner

I had the same problem but with the rear suspension, Glenn diagnosed it and Chris at suspensiontech fixed it. It was some part, had wasted itself. Hopefully they read this post and help out.

My girlfriends car had a problem like this and it was worn swaybar bushes...

Ever since I hit a pot hole in the gorge last week at a great rate of knots, something has f**ked out in my front right susp somewhere, it seems to knock over every little bump - quite annoying.

Everything looks fine and intact underneath, so I'm guessing its probably the shock that has shat itself!?

On lots of cars I have driven it has turned out to be worn shocks making the clonking. Like shocks that still had damping but were making noises.

In the Back of my E30 the rear shock mounts caused a fair amount of clonking, as they were all loose and torn.

Ball Joints can be easily checked for slop with the car up on stands and the wheels removed, i believe this is part of a wof check as well.

And suspension bushes ( the ones you can actually see or get too ) you can see if they are torn or ripped open normally but they might still be hard to get to .

Please note all of my experiences are to do with my E30 and my Datsun 300zx

( same front and rear suspension designs )

Good luck finding the problem.