Sign in to follow this  
mrad01

JC BMW Track Day in Taupo

Just came back from a (wet) track day put on by Jerry Clayton BMW to drive BMWs - and competitor cars on the track. It was pretty awesome!!!!!

Cars: e90 M3, e90 335i, 118d, 123d Coupe, X6d, M6, Audi A3 Quattro, A6 Quattro, Mercedes e320

Highlights of the day:

- BMW X6 on a wet track. That thing is incredible!! It hangs on and somehow just gets around quickly.

- BMW M3 4-door. Obvious. With a few pointers from Robbie Francevic (YES, he was in the passenger seat with me!), I started to get the hang of a high-revving V8. Wild.

- Watching the M3 doing hot laps with Mike Eddy at the wheel...drift city!

(I'm sure the M6 would have been wicked - but we only used that through the slalom - first/second gear only)

Rubbish of the day:

- Mercedes E320. OMG!!! This thing was trying to kill us all. Talk about dodgy handling!!!

- Audi A3 Quattro. Who sez 4WD is better in the wet. It couldn't keep up with the 118d!! Seriously.

If you get an invite for a day like this - or BMW driver training - do it. Mike and team are awesome.