Sign in to follow this  
tire

Indicator ussue, e30

Its a 1989 318i not that it matters.

When I say right I mean drivers side.

The right indicator was being dodgey, it would click fast then click slow then not click at all and none of the right hand indicator lights would work. They would however work perfectly and click at the normal speed with the hazard light button. Left indicator was all good if maybe a little slow.

So I got a new flasher unit / relay, the one that is under the under bit of steering column plastic. Its pictured.

I put it in and everything was doing the same thing except the relay would make a high pitched buzz with the right indicator switched on. I didn't know where to put that black wire. When I came back the next day it all worked perfectly including the right indicator the first time I tried it but the horn wouldnt work. Then it went back to buzzing, or doing a couple of good clicks then buzzing. We tested the ground with a multimeter but blew the indicator fuse cause we had it in wrong.

So I need to get a new fuse but between now and then can people (aka hotwire!) bounce some ideas off me. Telling me what to test would be good. And telling me what to do with that black wire (spade one end, loop other) that the relay came with.

Surely someone else has had to replace this flasher unit before?

thanks max

Oops I forgot the picture

bump

post-2398-1238566482_thumb.jpg

Its a 1989 318i not that it matters.

When I say right I mean drivers side.

The right indicator was being dodgey, it would click fast then click slow then not click at all and none of the right hand indicator lights would work. They would however work perfectly and click at the normal speed with the hazard light button. Left indicator was all good if maybe a little slow.

So I got a new flasher unit / relay, the one that is under the under bit of steering column plastic. Its pictured.

I put it in and everything was doing the same thing except the relay would make a high pitched buzz with the right indicator switched on. I didn't know where to put that black wire. When I came back the next day it all worked perfectly including the right indicator the first time I tried it but the horn wouldnt work. Then it went back to buzzing, or doing a couple of good clicks then buzzing. We tested the ground with a multimeter but blew the indicator fuse cause we had it in wrong.

So I need to get a new fuse but between now and then can people (aka hotwire!) bounce some ideas off me. Telling me what to test would be good. And telling me what to do with that black wire (spade one end, loop other) that the relay came with.

Surely someone else has had to replace this flasher unit before?

thanks max

Dunno on reason for the black wire - not needed in the E30 anyway.

Also - highly unlikely to be a flasher problem. Usual failure of these is a dry solder joint causing no go or no flash

May have a short in the right hand circuit OR a faulty contact connection in the switch on R/H side (latter probably more likely)

Dunno on reason for the black wire - not needed in the E30 anyway.

Also - highly unlikely to be a flasher problem. Usual failure of these is a dry solder joint causing no go or no flash

May have a short in the right hand circuit OR a faulty contact connection in the switch on R/H side (latter probably more likely)

You were right its not the flasher. I fiddled with the switch and its going again.. for now. Thanks mate.