Sign in to follow this  
skyline_400r

Need HELP! E46 light plug problem

Is there a way to remove/replace part# 19 without cutting the wires? It's for my E46 sedan park light.

Posted Image

I was trying to pull out the bulb socket (part#2), pulled too hard and damaged those little pieces of metal contact inside the plug housing (part# 19).

That appears to be the connector on the main wiring harness for the park lamp bulbsocket.

What you should need to do is slide the white lock forward to disengage it (this is normal procedure for Tyco/AMP connectors - I haven't used this specific connector before). Then you need to disengage the terminal locking tabs - these are to stop the terminal pushing out the rear of the connector during connection. So use a paperclip or small pick to compress the locks as you slide them back out of the housing (helps to push forward to release, then push on the locking tab, then pull backwards on the wire). Don't over force the terminal or you will damage it - jiggling around and constant pressure is the key.

And have a good close look at how they lock (each connector design is different and Tyco don't list the BMW specific part number for that connector) - you can always disengage them and it is just a matter of working out how. It is tricky first time, but can be done without munting the terminals or the housing.

Also, try the AMP part numbers here. I couldn't find the BMW specific number, but there will be a generic AMP part number without the BMW markings.

Good luck.