Sign in to follow this  
Ogg

Power Steering issues

Hy Guys,

I desperately need some advice. I own a 94' 318is coupe and after taking a look at my power steering fluid i was almost shocked .It was black as tar and smelled even worse. Ever since i bought the car i had a feeling the steering is a bit heavy so i decided to change the fluid.

So what i did was jack up the car, pot a pan underneath and undo the bolt that connects one of the hoses to the pump. i let it drain completely then i had someone turn the steering wheel from lock to lock so that the steering box would empty completely.

After this i put everything back in place and filled the power steering reservoir with Dextron lll ATF . I turned the wheel again from lock to lock a few times to let any air bubbles out of the system.

PROBLEM: As soon as i started the car i noticed a pretty loud whine coming from the power steering pump(the car sounds like it's supercharged). Actually the whine is louder then the engine noise. I tried again to turn the wheel from lock to lock with the power steering fluid tank cap off and i notice the steering is much much better then before(lighter), but that did not solve the noise.

Since then i drove the for at least 30km and it feels great but the loud whine scares the crap out of me.

PLEASE HELP !

MUCH APPRECIATED>

had the same problem on my 7 series. was it just making noises when you turn the steering wheel? if so it was the same problem as mine. there was not enough fluid in the system so the pump inside makes a lot of noise when you turn it.

The thing is the fluid level is good.

I was kind of used to this type of noise when turning sometimes, but now it's on all the time, the car sounds like an airplane.

I'm just worried that this sound predicts catastrophic failure.

Any other thoughts?