Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Rear Subframe Removal Help!

For a E30.

Have disconnected everything required bar the propeller shaft. Am having problems getting it off. Is there any way I can just unbolt the side that connects the universal joint to the diff? I can seem to be able to undo any of the nuts to get it off :( Mainly because the driveshaft is still spinning as I try spanner them off :(

Am using a Haynes Manual and it is as useful as tits on a bull at the best of times.

What am I missing???

Thanks, Nathan

Guest FrantiC

Put the car in gear, that will hold it while you get the bolts of, then take it in and out of gear while you rotate it to get every bolt off.

^ Thanks man, so I just need to take off those 4 bolts that connect the propeller shaft to the diff off?

Yes, but it's easier to drop the 2 13mm hanger bolts as well and let the driveshaft drop away from the diff when undone. Makes it much easier to drop the subframe straight down.

Well I got it off.....

But guess what.....

My rear subframe has two big cracks in the top where the top two diff mounting bolts are. So I am on the lookout for a new one, preferably without the old shitty bushes in it :)