Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Trouble setting up TDC

Hey Guys, well have been trying to set my timing up on my M50 for the past 3 hours now and am totally stumped!!

They haynes manual says that the no1 piston (closet to timing chain end) should be at tdc and that the cam shafts at no1 piston face up and towards each other with the square flanges on the ends of the camshafts at the firewall end shoul be 90deg square with the horizontal edge of the back of the head. Once this is achieved you can put the chain on.

Problem is before you put the camshafts on the crank has to be wound counter clockwise 30deg so that the valves clear the pistons. Which way is counter clockwise.... counter clockwise when sitting in the car behind the motor or counter clockwise looking from the front of the car at the crank shaft pulley?

I have tried 30deg both sides of TDC on the crank and the valves will simply not let me bring the crank back to TDC on the crank.

Maybe its because im not allowing the lifters to settle for 30mins? Im stumped so any light someone could shed is much appreciated, im willing to ring someone if they can tell me what im doing wrong.

Cheers, Luke

Would help if i put the hydraulic lifters up the right way! :rolleyes: theres always some simple stupid mistake that throws you off on hours of frustrasion... then you click haha!