Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

E38 Clear Lenses

Chaps,

Ive been trying to locate some clear lenses (front, side and rear) without getting stiffed by the dealers.

Ive tried a couple of places that have been recommended to me on other threads (Mosens - have no e38 parts at all - and SD European has one left lenses and havent gotten back to me about the rears).

So is there anywhere else in NZ that I can try to save me from sourcing from Germany via ebay ?

To be honest the deal Ive got so far is probably unbeatable but Id still like to get them from NZ if I can.

Cheers

Martyn

a price for rear tails is about 250 each...our seven has clears all round so ill ask PO where she got them from

Thanks Gus,

Ive got a deal with a bloke in Germany for the full set, fronts, sides and rears for EUR279 including delivery which works out to be around NZD 520 give or take.

The pain is that when I first arrived Shelly's were having a special and the whole set was about 600 bucks but because my car was in such a state I passed.

I went in a couple of weeks later and asked when the deal was going to close and he said not for another couple of weeks and so I went in the next week to be told it had closed weeks earlier and the full price was now closer to 1100 :-(

I was not happy and let him know which is probably why Ive had crap service from them ever since.

520 NZ is pretty good in my book...to be honest i dont imagine finding much better than that around, esp since thats inc delivery

im driving a 730 atm....imagining how much fun a 740 must be! have you got any cool pics of yours?

its strange how people dont like talking to you after you abuse them :D

I agree its a bloody good price, but if I can pick them up in NZ for a reasonable price then I would prefer to do that. Ive had mixed experiences buying in Germany on ebay.

The only pics I have of the car are from before I bought it. I was waiting until I got everything fixed up and then valeted before taking some more in the better spots of Wellington but just havent had the time or money to do it justice.

The 740 is great around Wellington but I do miss my 750iL :-) What do you think of the 730 then ? I drove the e65 before coming out and the 730d was astonishing.

As for Sheelys I wouldnt say I abused the guy, just pointed out that I had been in there pretty much daily for a couple of weeks trying to sort my car and he knew the only reason I hadnt bought them there and then was that I had too much to sort out.

Im not the kind of person who gets ugly but I dont like being lied to when Ive done everything I can to make sure I wont miss out.

if its dark take the pics in early morn or evening....sunlight just ruins dark cars!

hmm 750......is there a huge difference between the two? is the v12 a lot heavier?

the 730i is ok......suprising considering its only got half a litre and probably somewhere in the region of two tonne on the e30.....but its not rocket ship....got enough torque for roundabouts though :) and wet car parks of course....heard good things about the new 3.0 diesel...a 330d to tour europe would go down well

buying nz is always good...but there so little bimmer stuff around.....take just as an example e30 LSD's..impossible!

Its aspen silver mate and the sunlight helps bring out the silver and lavender speckles in the paint :gay:

The difference on paper was minimal, but in real life the 750 felt much much quicker. To be fair the 750 was an e32 and the 740 is an e38, the 750 only had another 11 bhp or something but it was the mid range that really made the difference.

From a standstill the 740 is a little quicker due to a slighty different gearing but once you hit 50mph kiss goodbye to the v12. The 740 still flies but the v12 just goes into orbit and its all so effortless.

Thats perhaps the biggest difference Ive noticed is the noise. The 740 really does roar but the v12 sounds like its doing nothing up until 4k revs and then there is an almighty roar right up to 6k by which stage you are seriously past the stage of an automatic ban !

As for weight I think the v12 has about 200kgs on the 740, especially as it was an iL, the rear doors are huge.

Touring Europe is what these cars are made for. Before we came out we took the 740 to Amsterdam (wife parents life there) and even after 8 hours in the car with the two little kids you felt great on arrival. The roads are so good (apart from Belgium) that you just stick on the cruise, sit back and relax.

I prefer to keep my money in NZ but as you say there is a real shortage of bits around here. Im really struggling to find anywhere other than the dealers for parts. Perhaps ebay will be my answer after all. Ive still got plenty of mates in the UK who can source stuff for me too and a mate of mine who had his 750 in totalBMW a few months ago runs his own parts company so he can usually get pieces for me too.

Do many people on here source from Europe ?

The german ebay is brilliant. As long as you can handle their victorian attitude to money (in that its only bank transfers they accept) you can get some brilliant bargains.

Yeah I'm getting stuff from overseas.

At the moment waiting for my replica NZ plate to arrive from Germany. Yay!!

Posted Image

Still looking to get 2nd hand M5 grille possibly from fabdirect. Bank transfer is quite an expensive exercise due to the fee of $25 per transfer.

Shipping is also killing me with things regularly cost $50-$75 to ship from Europe or America.

arent there more options in the UK????I would love some clear or smoked front corners for my black e34

arent there more options in the UK????I would love some clear or smoked front corners for my black e34

get them thru hella NZ, can also do side and rear for E34, get from a hella stockist or PM CaM or email him at CaM_ae86@hotmail.com

sparkle

i will too thanks sparkle,does he have hella stuff himself,would be good to support a bimmersport outfit!

sweet as guys, na but he can get hella stuff thru his work (TWL - transport wholesale- basically truck parts)

you can ring him at work on (06) 356 1013, ask for Cam.

PLEASE DO NOT USE MAKOTOAUTOTRENDS.COM THEY HAD SET OF CLEAR TAILS ADVERTISED FOR US$60 WHICH WAS LIKE WHOA BUT TOOK 3 MONTHS OF MONKEY sh*t FIGHTING TO GET & I HAD TO LODGE WITH IRS AND BBB IN US (HAD TO INVESTIGATE AND DIG UP LEGAL sh*t LIKE UNSECURED SITE/EBAY FRAUD ETC TO GET) VERY TEMPTING BUT WILL GIVE YOU CORONARY TRUST ME NOT WORTH IT. Even if they owe me just over NZ$100 landed. Teh gayness!$*@%

Got them in the end however this is generally the first obvious (and cheapet) option in eBay... not worth it even at that crazy low price.

They often advertise clear sides and corners for US$1.99 IF they turn up.

A lot of people have been caught up by these so-called aftermarket giants.

Mexican money scam.

Oh and im still working thru the legal ish in getting their eBay account deleted...looking hopeful thou - wont stop till they stop.

:angry: