Sign in to follow this  
Mash

Fixable? wheels

Hey just wondering if anyone knows if this kinda damage is fixable?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.as...amp;permanent=0

And if these could be re-drilled to 5x120..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=215586304

Just after some cheap 19s to flog my e46 of with

Edited by still low e46

Posted Image

Don't realy want for my self, just find cars sell faster with after market alloys.

Definitely NOT fixable.

Redrilling is generally about $10-$20 a hole. It probably can't be done as the wheels are multifit and also have a centrecap. I would say the bolts to hold the centrecap on may prevent them from being redrileld to a larger pcd.

Definitely NOT fixable.

Redrilling is generally about $10-$20 a hole. It probably can't be done as the wheels are multifit and also have a centrecap. I would say the bolts to hold the centrecap on may prevent them from being redrileld to a larger pcd.

Thank you very much, all i needed to know

Are you sure mate? (I'm not meaning to be annoying) Brugar engineering.

did you see the BIG CHUNKS out of the wheels? :P

maybe they can be fixed but the cost wouldn't be worth it, it would be cheaper to buy new wheels.

did you see the BIG CHUNKS out of the wheels? :P

maybe they can be fixed but the cost wouldn't be worth it, it would be cheaper to buy new wheels.

Haha, yea i did! :)

I realize it would be expensive. Would be interesting to see a quote on a job like that.

I would hate to think of the cost involved in :o Imagine welding in new pieces and then smoothing straightening, heat treating etc

at a estimate for the picture, a wheel place would give it ago. but yea price would be a fair bit. i would estimate at least 380 zone which is the cost of a new wheel. have seen stuff like this come through work an people do pay it some times. more found when wheels are no longer available am the owner has become attached to the look of the wheel. but hey thats my 2cents worth

If the wheels arent bent through the centre,( to badly )i should be able to fix them,i dont weld pieces in because you dont know if youve got a full penatration weld or not,so is filled with weld,after been straightened roughly,then final straighten and machined. :) How ever if they are bent through the centre ie,spokes bent sorry only good for a hose reel.Would estimate 280-300 for the bad ones.Brugar Engineering (Rod)

I agree with Johno and wouldn't touch those with a barge pole. The danger with repairing alloy wheels is that aluminium work hardens (gets harder and more brittle the more the metal is worked) and must be heat treated correctly to releive this. Doing this kind of repair incorrectly and you may find that it ruptures again when you hit a pothole or bump at some stage in the future. Nobody wants that at 100 km/h....

In theory they may be fixable, but economically why would you? It isn't like wheels for an E46 are rare...

If the wheels arent bent through the centre,( to badly )i should be able to fix them,i dont weld pieces in because you dont know if youve got a full penatration weld or not,so is filled with weld,after been straightened roughly,then final straighten and machined. :) How ever if they are bent through the centre ie,spokes bent sorry only good for a hose reel.Would estimate 280-300 for the bad ones.Brugar Engineering (Rod)

Hi Rod

Welcome to the forum. It is great to have a reputable wheel repairer on here that can offer their knowledge. Slightly off topic, but I heard through the grape vine that you can "add" to the back of a wheel to lower (just for Sam) the offset. Sorry for the highly technical term :) . Can you shed any more light on this?

cheers

Johno

Edited by zenetti

Guest Ari Gold

Hi Rod

Welcome to the forum. It is great to have a reputable wheel repairer on here that can offer their knowledge. Slightly off topic, but I heard through the grape vine that you can "add" to the back of a wheel to build the offset. Sorry for the highly technical term :) . Can you shed any more light on this?

cheers

Johno

Wouldn't that lower the offset? Making the hub mounting face closer to the centre of the wheel?

Also, welcome Rod! Supplementary question, do you have the right "keys" to undo and refinish OZ racing wheels (10pt keys) ?

yes, that is what I trying to achieve, sorry my wording was incorrect,

I will edit the original post now :P

Edited by zenetti

yes, that is what I trying to achieve, sorry my wording was incorrect,

I will edit the original post now :P

Hi spacers can be fitted to hub face of wheel,but the law states that a spacer must be fixed to the wheel or fixed to the hub of the vehicle.We usually bolt them to the back of the wheel using countersunk capscrews, then bore them out so they still hub locate, is a time consuming job actually, also you might need some longer wheel bolts depending on the thickness of spacer.

Wouldn't that lower the offset? Making the hub mounting face closer to the centre of the wheel?

Also, welcome Rod! Supplementary question, do you have the right "keys" to undo and refinish OZ racing wheels (10pt keys) ?

Hi i think so will look tommorrow to make sure.