Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Ews system

I am just wondering if anybody knows about the e36 (see my car info) EWS Immobilize system, According to the scan i did on my car it says this modules responded ok and there were no error's.

This leads me to my first question, Is this an alarm system ?? or is it something else.

My key has the remote locking buttons on it and a light that lights up if the buttons are pushed and upon looking all the electronic stuff inside it. But my mirror has no clown nose on it or anything.

This just has me confused.

it is an immobiliser system not an alarm as such. it doesnt make any noise if you car is being broken into. there is a chip in the key that allows the module to start the engine. in other words it wont start with a plain key. it is just an immobiliser system all modern cars have them.

Thats not really right. Mines a '99 with the EWS system. It is fully alarmed. Tilt sensor, interior sensors, alarm + of course the immobilizer.

Thats not really right. Mines a '99 with the EWS system. It is fully alarmed. Tilt sensor, interior sensors, alarm + of course the immobilizer.

sydawyz e30 is correct . ews is just an immobilizer , dwa is the alarm system . not all bmw's have dwa ( jap imports for example ) . they are seperate systems .

it is an immobiliser system not an alarm as such. it doesnt make any noise if you car is being broken into. there is a chip in the key that allows the module to start the engine. in other words it wont start with a plain key. it is just an immobiliser system all modern cars have them.

sydawyz e30 is correct . ews is just an immobilizer , dwa is the alarm system . not all bmw's have dwa ( jap imports for example ) . they are seperate systems .

Thanks for all the info guys.

Why would my key have the buttons though for remote central locking and even a light that lights up on the key when pressed if it does nothing.

You can also have remote locking/unlocking with your EWS key.

You can also have remote locking/unlocking with your EWS key.

Anybody know how i would tell if my car does have this feature ??.

Edited by presso

Anybody know how i would tell if my car does have this feature ??.

your key may just need to be initialized . its best to get it checked out by a dealer or an indipendant bmw outfit .