Sign in to follow this  
petemcc

new member with e38 740il

Hi guys

I'm Pete from chch and just yesterday bought a 99 e38 740il. It's has a few wee things wrong with it but was priced accourdingly. Now for the problems.

Aircon not working, is this a common fault or likely just needs regassed?

The key! I only have one and the remote is not working at present. Going to try new batteries tomorrow. the buttons are very worn and I cant read them. Looks like the standard 3 button key but the bottom button doesn't seem to be split. Did they make any two button ones?

Slight drive train clunk when accelerating both from just after breaking and changing direction. Doesn't seem to have any drive shaft play but haven't looked too hard yet.

All the doors lock when you start moving. An inport thing I guess. Can this be dissabled?

Stereo, I want to be able to hook up my ipod first of all and would also like to be able to put in some subs I have. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a thread about this. I would idealy like to be able to use and aftermarket head unit witth (with sub control), the original speakers and my subs. Does the computer still work if you dissconnect the speakers and the tape deck part? (this is where I have thought of installing the aftermarket stereo).

The rocker covers have pealing paint on them and seem to be oxidizing a bit, anyone stuck this before?

Thats if for now, Im sure ill think of more. Any comments and advice welcome.

Cheers

Pete

Already thought of something elce!

Behind the rear diff there is a small unit with pipes going into it. I assume it is either a break ballance valve or for the suspension. either way its leaking. Any thoughts?

Also its telling me that the break linings need checking. I have checked them and they still have plenty of meat. ...

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Mc

Nice car... want photos!

The brake linings thing is just a sensor that gets worn and not often replaced (in e34s anyway). You can just cut the wire and twist them together or get the sensor from a dealer. best place for part numbers and info is http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/

There you can enter the last 7 numbers/digits of your vin and it will tell you all the parts relative to your car.

Without your VIN, you can browse parts for your car starting here

f'rinstance, your brake pad sensor is PN: 34 35 1 182 064 and they're $16usd

and mine is this and about 3 bucks cheaper! :D

Heya mate Welcome to BS,

All the doors lock when you start moving. An inport thing I guess. Can this be dissabled?

This feature im sure can be turned off at the $tealership

Pete

My understanding it was originally an anti-carjacking feature, incidently it's/was a "feature" of alot of alarms for awhile, not sure if it still is or not.

Rocker covers - yeah, I have an m60 (yours would be m62?), and I assume they use the same coating/paint for them. The paint they used from what I can tell is a plastic type one, meaning (I found out the hard way) most paintstrippers etc didnt do jack sh*t. In the end I just sanded it back and got them resprayed by a mate with the equipment/special paint...however this was a long process with all the little nooks and crannies.

Perhaps sandblasting is a method to try? (not sure if this is too abrasive or not)

Ian.

My understanding it was originally an anti-carjacking feature, incidently it's/was a "feature" of alot of alarms for awhile, not sure if it still is or not.

Still is, although this feature can be controlled via iDrive now. For e38/e39, a visit to the dealer is needed to turn on/off this feature.