Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrantiC

Extra vacuum fittings on intake manifold ?

Guest FrantiC

Not sure which section to put this into so bare with me..

So my standard m20b25 intake manifold has only 1 vacuum line fitting. This would be fine, as stock motor only needs 1 for the FPR.

Well I need more.. I am talking about atleast another 4 vacuum nipples for the following:

BOV

Wastegate

Megasquirt ECU needs a vacuum line run to ECU (MAP sensor built into the board)

Boost gauge

I don't really wanna be a cheap guy and just get one of those multi vacuum line things, or T the one coming from the FPR into 4 other lines. So where could I get more vacuum fittings and would they get welded into the manifold or what ? Have seen people do it in the U.S where they make more coming off teh back of the manifold not sure how they go about this though, or where they get them done?

Some people drill and tap the manifold for barbed adapters.

That would be the go, just drill slow so it doesn't crack

P.s: Use thread tape to!! :)

Edited by KSMYRS

Guest FrantiC

Where do I get the fittings from though. I would just drill and weld if I knew were to get them from.

I had the idea just come to me to chop and weld the back side of an early 320i manfiold which has an extra 3 fittings on the back.. Would do me fine actually cos that would be 4 in total.

FPR, BOV, MAP ECU, Boost gauge.

Wastegate should be done close to the turbo apparently, does funny things from getting signal at the intake manifold.

Hmmm, not sure where the fittings come from. Your cut and weld idea is far too much work - I am sure if you can find some small diameter steel hollow pipe (ie, like the vacuum fittings) you could drill a hole on the back of your current manifold and press it in.

Have now decided I will do that next time the manifold comes off, although in the interim will probably just use a tee for blow off valve and boost gauge, as am not too worried if they're not super accurate.

(edit) I repaired one of the nipples on my Honda throttle body using one of the nipples from the remainder of the intake. If you can find the right size pipe then maybe a trip to pickapart with the pliers will do the trick.

Edited by CamB

Guest FrantiC

Yeah i think I have figured something out, There are some e30's with 2 vacuum nipples on that rear piece.. So could T BOV and boost gauge together, FPR and vacuum line for Megasquirt T together..

I just bought a random piece of 2.5" intercooler pipe for an s15 on trademe which has a vacuum fitting on it that I could chop what I need and stick down by the turbo for the wastegates vacuum signal..

Probably save me a whole lot of effort Lol.

Edited by FrantiC

Its best to have a dedicated signal for the ECU, and there are usually guidelines for where to put it (eg, close to TB, after the throttle plate).