Sign in to follow this  
bigrob

How do they do it?

I was watching the Champions League soccer final (Manchester Utd vs Barcelona) on TV thursday morning. The stadium was packed and and you could hear the spectators making noise for the 90 minutes.Apart from the spectators you could also hear the 'thud' noise everytime the ball was kicked. My question is how did they manage that? Where was the microphone that was picking up this sound when the ball was kicked, all this in a stadium packed with noisey fans .

Directional microphones might explain the thud when the kick the ball, if they have have on the cameras...

Omni directional microphones for crowd noise?

Shotgun microphones for the so called Thud,

or cardioid microphones dotted around the football

Just a guess

Will text my mate at the TAB and ask him

Edited by jordy

If you look closely there are microphones all around the pitch at 'ground level' facing the pitch and there are plenty of microphones also facing the crowd closer to the stands.

Im not sure if the cameras at pitch side have microphones on them as well but you should be able to check the cameras out in the background of the coverage.

directional mic's on the sidelines... same thing used for americain football games...