Sign in to follow this  
soarer260@hotmail.com

Exhaust with an H pipe & an X pipe?

I was wondering, with a V8, running duals, is it bad in anyway to have both an H pipe and an X pipe in the system?

Would they interfere with each other?

Would there be any negatives or positives for running both?

Just wondering as the exhaust man said 'you can never have too much balancing' when he put the X pipe in, leaving the H pipe installed previously there.

I'm not convinced it's wise to have the H in there too, the sound is confusing and in regards to flow, it would probably muck up the work the X pipe is doing.

Plus I've NEVER heard of people running both of these balancing setups in one system.

Any ideas?

Keep the H

The X has never been a big deal for me and I have built plenty of V8's in many forms, sort of over compicating the system and only really useful if your engine is really high performance and I mean really high.

The best system is a set of 180 degree headers and dual exhausts [ click here ] http://media.photobucket.com/image/180%20d...egreeMedium.jpg

But this system is not practical at all

I would run 1 equalizer with dual exhausts [ in front of any crossover pipes ]

Nascar and V8 supercars use dual exhausts with a gas equalizer [ click here ] http://store.summitracing.com/largeimage.a...hed-18814_w.jpg

This was supposed to been invented by some Yank in the 80's [ patent pending still ] and sold as the "Dr Gas Exhaust Equalizer" but I have seen 3 on an early Mercedes V8 SEL [cunning Germans stealing American technology 15 years earlier ]

The reason these work is because a V8 engine uses a 90 degree crank to smooth out mid range vibrations,

Unfortunately the firing order of a 90 degree crank requires 2 adjacent cylinders on each bank to fire in sequence causing a pressure imbalance which the crossover pipe equalizes over to the other side [ during the remaining 4 cylinders firing sequence, the pressures from each bank cancel each other out at the equalizer ]

Its all about the laws of diminishing returns [ aka : Can I justify the money spent ]