Sign in to follow this  
sdavies51

E30 Running Rich and low idle

After changing the sump on my E30 which involved raising the engine off its mounts it has been running rich. I originally though the ecu had done something weird as the battery had been diconected for a few days while i did this however it has been reset so im assuming its not to blame. Does anyone know why this could be i have heard it can be to do with pipes losing pressure but im no expert.

Are all the electrical connectors still where the should be? In particular the temperature sensor wire for the ECU and the air flow meter connector?

After changing the sump on my E30 which involved raising the engine off its mounts it has been running rich. I originally though the ecu had done something weird as the battery had been diconected for a few days while i did this however it has been reset so im assuming its not to blame. Does anyone know why this could be i have heard it can be to do with pipes losing pressure but im no expert.

If you remove the oil filler cap while idling and it makes no difference and still has low idle you have a vacuum leak..check that dip stick is in, Crank case vent pipe snug into inlet manifold, Intake boot fractured, Rocker cover vent pipe attached?

Idle is controlled by ICV and they get gunged up causing idle issues. TPS gets oil seeping in from inlet manifold and that can cause idle fluctuations. Give both a good clean.