Sign in to follow this  
tehBMWn00p

No reverse :( :(

On Sunday I noticed that my reverse gear was playing up, it didn't immediately go into the reverse when I changed gear. I had to go back into neutral then into reverse for it to grab. That was fine.

Now yesterday when I went to leave work I pulled into a drive-way to do a three-point turn and reversed out no problem, reverse gear went in first go. Again, this was fine.

Now..

When I got home I pulled into my drive-way as I normally do and then decided to reverse out and back the car in so it would be easier to leave for work in the morning. So, I proceed to change into reverse but the gear doesn't grab. So I proceed to do what I did on Sunday, change into neutral and then back into reverse. Still no luck. After several attempts to get it to go I concluded I had somehow lost my reverse transmission.

I checked my transmission fluid and noticed it that it was epically low. (is there a warning light for this??)

I figured that must be the reason it wasn't working so I bought some ATF and topped it up.

Still no luck.

The thing I don't understand is that all other gears work fine.

Do I need a new transmission? Where is the best place to get this done? (this is way beyond me).

I'm in Auckland.

TIA

Cliff

tl;dr

-car has no reverse, all other gears work fine. needs fixing, what do i do? e30 320i F/L '88

I am scrapping the darkest regions of my memory banks here but I think there can be a problem with internal seals within the gearbox that allow pressurised fluid to get places it should not be, causing problems like this. Some ZF auto gearboxes are affected if I remember right.

Hopefully someoone with more recent experience may be able to assist.

My mate had the same problem, I cant remember exactly what the problem was though. We ended up putting a new transmission in it anyway.

If you do end up needing a new gearbox, it just so happens that I have one for sale on trademe http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=223283405

It was rebuilt approx 80,000km ago by marshalls transmissions.

yeah sounds like a seal in the valve body to me. it must be intermittently leaking. or maby it has just become perminent.

cheaper and easier to replace trans.

i have one out of my car for sale too

83xxxkm on it