Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

M20 Brain surgery

Hey guys. thinking of building up a head for an m20b25.

does anyone know if the 731 head will fit on?

also are there many gains to be made from honing and flowbenching?

What are the common mods done to m20 heads for performance?

And last but not least what is the ideal cam to run in a racecar that wont rev above 7 and uses stock pistons and bottom end? dont really care how "streetable" it is. just want it to go fast. lol

Any info will be apreciated. cheers guys.

According to a pro flow tester on E30 Zone (UK E30 forum) the 325i head flows better than the 323i head. I'll link the thread, a lot to read, amazing work by this guy, but you have to sign up to see it.

http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name=Fo...pic&t=87664

A common M20 mod is adding 30 to it. (M50 :D)

Guest FrantiC

All the heads can fit on either or models really.. But 731 head on 2.5 bottem end isn't gonna be better at all.

m20b25 has domed pistons and designed together with the 885 heads combustion chambers. 731 head suits a b27 ETA bottem end, So it's good in a stroker build and does not drop compression ratio like the 885 head does. So you could in effect have a 10.2 or 11:1 CR 2.7 stroker by putting the 731 head on the ETA 2.7 bottem end..

731 head on the b25 would probably raise compression I would guess? Other than checking valve clearances with the b25 pistons, it will bolt down fine.