Sign in to follow this  
BlowMyWhistle

e23 poss head job

Hi Y'all.

Last week, my brother & I bought an e23.

Had bean sitting about 18 months.

It's $900, $700 take it away, sold...

The water's pretty ugly, water pump & rad both replaced by moi!

Wouldn't fire up day 1, sew we came back armed up, did the rad etc.

Instead of seeing if it wood fire up fresh Bodgy rips out the leads, breaking them...

He patches them up, shortens the ends & crimps the connector back on, bit of insulation tape...

Fires up, runs on 4.5 cylinders... No surprises there.

Drives it home 20 odd K's.

Sit's on my lawn for a week, while he uses my 23 wich never misses a beat, cos i llok after it...

Comes down with leads froman old e23, a 728 with the different dizzy, chops & changes the leads.

Puts a new battery innit , wont turn over, pulls the pugs, reckons #6 is full of water, eye reckon it's fuel, eye dint sea any water...

spins it a few times, plugs back in fires up on 5 now!

Takes it for a test drive, (fills the trans) now reckons the trans is 'brown & smells bad'.

He reckons the head's gone, down to the shop for (another) botle of chemi weld, he loves that brown & smelly...

Tips that in, still only running on 5...

Seems to me he's got it all wrong.\

First test the leads, see if that back cylinder is firing before he duz anything else...

Coincedence the same cylinder not firing, but i did see how he ripped the leads out, by the leads, not the rubber boot??

The cars gunner shudder if it's only running on 5, not neccesarily indicitive of a blown trans?

Personally I think he got had, I wouldn't have bought it, no matter how cheap it was, no coolant, frost plugs weeping.

But it does fire up first kick...

To me it's not showing any signs of a blown head, he thinks its jetting water into that back cylinder, that's why it wouldn't turn over... sure it wood fire on the other 5 & not just refuse to turn...

It's not losing water, there's no compression of the water as ewe wood expect & as I have unfortunately experienced once before...

Oil & water are not mixed, no water from the exhaust apart from sum condensation.

He's put a bottle of Chemiweld thru it & it's still only running on 5/

Do ewe think he's got it wrong?

He's working on this entire scenario, want s to put the 2.8 in to it, dump the motor & the trans.

Sounds like a hole lotta trouble, he hasn't even tested the leads yet, just running on that scenario.

Eye mite go up to super cheap auto here in Rockingham & get a new sert of leads, from my lovely daughter, maybe steal the leads from her e30?

I know how much BMW leads are, I'll sea if eye can use made up leads.

Meanwhile, to end this story, any ideas on who's rite or wrong???

Once more in english that we can understand!

Please!

I'm with you, change the leads for a decent set, and try new plugs as well. If it's not showing any of the normal blown head signs, then it's more likely to be electrics.

Souns lik your bro is a bit of a mong ahaa.

And why on earth do you type 'eye' instead of 'I'??????????????

Um, my take on your *overview* is that you're both guessing . . . .

Start with a check of the valve clearances and a compression test. If necessary, follow that with a cooling system pressure check. Maybe even do a TeeKay check on the cooling system to see if exhaust gas is getting into the cooling system. Once you've either established that everything is OK or corrected the problem(s), move onto the ignition system.

The idea is to begin with the stuff you can measure, where there are known values to check against.

my $0.02

i had a blown headgasket with NO symptoms other than a misfire for maybe 5 seconds after start up...it eventually started using a litre of coolant in 3 or 4 days....still no classic signs ie milk shake oil or oil in coolant

Yeah, basically we're guessing.

I hadn't touched it, but I know it's wrong to go filling it with chemiweld without eliminating a few other things first...

Clue: it's been sitting nearly 2 years...

Wood the injectors sieze up?

Im pulled the leads off it today, pretty bodgy, changed a couple of them, got it running nicer, but something's still missing, running on 5.

Not so keen on pulling a plug to see which cylinder.

Also there's a hissing noise, like it's pumping up fuel , you can hear the pump down the back of the car & a hissing around the intake side of the motor.

Sorry bout my writing I get a bit carried away! :rolleyes:

hissing,either a cracked intake boot or the the fuel regulater doing its work.

have you checked the dizzy.could have crap build-up on the points or condensation,leads to misfire.

2yrs of sitting,fuel gone crappy?

changed/cleaned the plugs maybe the last thing,maybe the most obvious

injecters do crap out,had a couple do that.but check the cap first,99% dramas start and finish there