Sign in to follow this  
Mike.Gayner

E34 Squeaky Steering

My E34 has had squeaky steering at the wheel since I've had it. I've tried a couple of things that have been suggested on online forums with no success. Today I was getting ready to pull off the airbag/steering wheel when I couldn't find my torx driver <_< Anyhow, I had a look at the back of the steering wheel while I had the cowl off and saw a copper ring attached to the wheel, and some sort of brush/sensor touching it. I gave the wheel a turn, and it was apparent immediately that it was this that was causing the squeak. I gave it a quick grease and all gone. Here's the procedure - less than five minutes all up.

1. Remove the lower cowl below steering wheel. After removing the single screw holding it on, use a flat head screw drive to separate the upper and lower halves. The upper one doesn't need to be removed.

2. Spot the ring in question, as per the picture. Clean up the crud as much as you can, and apply a small amount of grease.

3. Reassemble.

edit: So does anyone know what this thing actually does?

post-4082-1245445144_thumb.jpg

post-4082-1245445168_thumb.jpg

post-4082-1245445191_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike.Gayner

edit: So does anyone know what this thing actually does?

The copper ring?

On earlier cars it was the connection between the wheel and column for the horn. Couldn't run a wire up there if you're turning the wheel all the time!

On yours its either horn or airbag... probably the horn.

Cars have done it that way for frickin ages. Not sure what they use for the airbag (never had an airbag car myself so no need to pull the wheel off)

btw, the e34 section of bimmerforums has that fix... and many others!