Sign in to follow this  
drifty325i

Camber/castor settings

Hey Guys,

As some of you are aware ive just got my GC adjustable camber/caster plates from the states via Henry (thanks again mate)

1) Now im just in the mist of putting them in and getting them ready for the track day thats coming up on the 2nd, Now im pretty much only going to the track with this setup so i can be quite aggressive for now as im pulling out the suspension again in a month or so to replace some spring pads etc (on way from the states)

In setting up mine I should try for max Castor? I'm planning on running around 2.4degrees camber, I also have to be mindful that i will be running some old Michelin slicks

2) What setup would you suggest i run on the road with my 16x9s with 225/45/16s? I cant get to aggressive with Castor as my fat wheels and low offset will be be very close to my front guards. I'm wanting to run around 2.4degres camber on the road as well to help tuck the tires

Race guys id love your input.

Cheers

IMO go hard or go home.

Slap as much castor on there as you can, set ur camber to where it will be best for the track. deal with it driving up there and back, just try not to rub your guards too much. and carve it up on the track.

Go for max castor. And you can probably run about 2deg camber. I've got 2.5deg and it's too much. Borderline alright with R888's, but definitely too much with street rubber.

Go for max castor. And you can probably run about 2deg camber. I've got 2.5deg and it's too much. Borderline alright with R888's, but definitely too much with street rubber.

Ended up with, 2.7deg front, m3 Castor, Might bring it back after the track day BUT i need to tuck those 16x9s in the front. Not to worried about tire were as its not a daily

Ended up with, 2.7deg front, m3 Castor, Might bring it back after the track day BUT i need to tuck those 16x9s in the front. Not to worried about tire were as its not a daily

I think the issue with excessive camber is not so much the tyre wear (that's just a $$$ issue) but excessive camber reduces the contact patch in a straight line - most pertinent under braking - which is probably more of an issue at the track.

But I guess with 16x9 you don't have a choice? I guess getting a wheel that fits properly is out of the question? :ph34r:

I think the issue with excessive camber is not so much the tyre wear (that's just a $$$ issue) but excessive camber reduces the contact patch in a straight line - most pertinent under braking - which is probably more of an issue at the track.

But I guess with 16x9 you don't have a choice? I guess getting a wheel that fits properly is out of the question? :ph34r:

I don't think my camber is to excessive (according to the wheel alignment expert) and if it ends up that way ill just have to adjust it back a bit. I don't want to sacrifice to much in the way of braking for faster cornering speeds

The 16x9s fit well its just that im running 225/45/16s up front so quite chunky, Most people with 16x9s on the front run 205/40/16s or 215/40/16s, they tend to stretch allot more and the radius is smaller so less issues. I just like a little more meat on the road than 205s

Cheers

Edited by Riley

I see you got 1degree of toe in the track day thread.. Is that toe in or out? 1degree is quite a lot! So I've heard. usually measured in minutes and seconds I've read, not whole degrees :D

I see you got 1degree of toe in the track day thread.. Is that toe in or out? 1degree is quite a lot! So I've heard. usually measured in minutes and seconds I've read, not whole degrees :D

Whoaps I mean 1mm toe in i think

Edited by Riley

Ahh hahaha, good good. That'll keep you nice and stable at high speed, as I've seen.

I just like a little more meat on the road than 205s

I Agree with that one