Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

Reverse Camera

1996 Ex Japan 540i E39

Reverse camera install.

Just spent the last half hour searching thru past forums, but no answer to this, so here goes.

I know the camera needs to be NTSC, but does the car do the mirror image swap, or do I need to buy a mirror image camera?

Has anybody fitted a camera, and can advise me of a suitable one?

Jochen / Hotwire??

Thanks

Edited by camera doctor

1996 Ex Japan 540i E39

Reverse camera install.

Just spent the last half hour searching thru past forums, but no answer to this, so here goes.

I know the camera needs to be NTSC, but does the car do the mirror image swap, or do I need to buy a mirror image camera?

Has anybody fitted a camera, and can advise me of a suitable one?

Jochen / Hotwire??

Thanks

Hi,

You need a mirror image camera although I haven't actually sourced a camera separately.

I have only done a retrofit camera to an X5 (same system) but it was the genuine BMW kit that I fitted.

I know Jochen has fitted a universal camera to an E39, not sure where he sourced the camera though.

Thanks Grant,

Thought I'd test the theory with a digital camera before I order a camera from Ebay. Pleased I did, cause I have run across a problem!

My car is a 1996 Ex Japan E39 540i with MK1 Japan Video Module ( Loewe Branding )

I cannot get it to change to Reverse camera mode when I ground pin 17 of the blue connector.

I wired a relay through the reverse lights to supply a ground, this works, the relay clicks and the output goes to ground, but no change on the display.

I have even tried grounding the pin 17 direct to the car chassis- nothing happens!

At this stage I have plugged the camera into the AV in and that works of course, but that means I would ned to manually switch the display onto TV mode.

Spent quite a while on the net, BMW Nav forum etc, and it seems another guy had similar issues with a MK1 unit, but there is no answer.

The other thing I read, ( but cannot find reference to now ) was a suggestion it was to do with the fact my car has trailer wiring - is this correct? Is that likely to upset things, cause if so, maybe I can wire in an isolation switch for the trailer wiring??

Any help / experience would be appreciated. Cheers.

Probably one for Jochen to answer as he has had experience with Mk 1 video modules whereas I haven't.

The only reverse camera I have had experience with fitting is in the X5 with the third generation 16:9 video module.

The Mk1 may well be different in this regard - Possibly not wired for reverse camera as shown the pin out info you obviously have. If this proves the problem - I have a second generation VM if you require.

My car is a 1996 Ex Japan E39 540i with MK1 Japan Video Module ( Loewe Branding )

I cannot get it to change to Reverse camera mode when I ground pin 17 of the blue connector.

Happens on some of the older video modules. Change to a newer video module.

The other thing I read, ( but cannot find reference to now ) was a suggestion it was to do with the fact my car has trailer wiring - is this correct? Is that likely to upset things, cause if so, maybe I can wire in an isolation switch for the trailer wiring??

Standard BMW trailer wiring kit disables reverse lights on vehicle when trailer is connected.

Hence, if being triggered from reverse lights, the rev camera won't work when trailer lights are is plugged in.

PS: the video module supports PAL and NTSC cameras. To operate with PAL cameras, reprogram the video module with my NavCoder app.

As for Mirror Image:

This is a MUST - if you fit non-mirror image the picture will be reversed (L&R) to what you expect, which will be extremely confusing and possible dangerous.

Jochen - Thanks. You are a wealth of knowledge as usual :)

Hotwire - I'll PM you re VM

Cheers Guys.