Sign in to follow this  
Guner

Import Rear Window Demisters

I got an e46 Jap import - it used to have tints on the sides so I imagine it had em on the rear window.

Only the bottom two lines of the rear window demister seem to be working - could this be from when the tintts were removed?

Inspect the wire closely to see if any of them are broken/torn. This happen when I had my tints done quite a few years ago, the guy was trimming the tint film inside the car and cut one of the wires.

As said - look closely for probably a cut through the element/s.

You can buy from the likes of Repco an element repair liquid - a metallic based glue. This is only suitable for fixing minor damage - likely in your case.

An easy test is: with a test light, check (carefully - not to damage) each element starting at supply end & working along the element. A working element will show a diminishing voltage as you move along, a broken element will show full voltage (open circuit) until you reach the break, after which - no light.

As said - look closely for probably a cut through the element/s.

You can buy from the likes of Repco an element repair liquid - a metallic based glue. This is only suitable for fixing minor damage - likely in your case.

An easy test is: with a test light, check (carefully - not to damage) each element starting at supply end & working along the element. A working element will show a diminishing voltage as you move along, a broken element will show full voltage (open circuit) until you reach the break, after which - no light.

Fantastic - great advice thanks.

Rang Repco, yep I'm gonna buy some of that copper glue.

Had a close look at the inside of the demister - you can see the tan line goes all the way across but the silver lining (inside window side) that the current goes through has been almost completely stripped off.

Gonna be fiddly as hell painting that much of this stuff on.

The guy at Repco reckons you mask it then paint it but the line is so fine I doubt it would look that great.

:mellow:

Rang Repco, yep I'm gonna buy some of that copper glue.

Had a close look at the inside of the demister - you can see the tan line goes all the way across but the silver lining (inside window side) that the current goes through has been almost completely stripped off.

Gonna be fiddly as hell painting that much of this stuff on.

The guy at Repco reckons you mask it then paint it but the line is so fine I doubt it would look that great.

:mellow:

If all that element (or most) is gone then it is a waste of time trying to repair it. As I said above - this glue is ONLY intended for minor damage, eg - a cut or nick in the element.

You will never be able to replicate the resistance of the original element by creating a long line of repair glue.

Only option in this case - replace the screen - make sure you get a good one.

You can test one out of a vehicle with the method I mentioned - apply 12v across the element (either polarity) & test each element as I described

If all that element (or most) is gone then it is a waste of time trying to repair it. As I said above - this glue is ONLY intended for minor damage, eg - a cut or nick in the element.

You will never be able to replicate the resistance of the original element by creating a long line of repair glue.

Only option in this case - replace the screen - make sure you get a good one.

You can test one out of a vehicle with the method I mentioned - apply 12v across the element (either polarity) & test each element as I described

Yeah I was afraid of that - what do you reckon a screen from a wreckers would set me back?

Not sure, pity an E30 one doesn't fit cos I have a couple of good ones <_<

Maybe check with Ray (Hell BM) not sure if he has an E46 wrecking?

Alternatively Mosen Euro in Hamilton are good to deal with