Sign in to follow this  
denisjoh

ABS & ASC lights on

Some notes if anyones interested about my ABS warning light issue.

On my 2003 E39 525 the ABS & ASC lights came on after when started up when hot. Also had no speedo. When everything cooled down all was OK. Had codes checked and showed "30 LR wheel sensor". Local independant BMW shop wanted to replace the sensor straight away ($285 for part). I did more research on other forums and found that a very common problem was ABS ECU/module internal wiring breaking down due to excessive heat. This things sits right above the exhaust manifold. I also checked the wheel sensors with a diode tester on my multimeter and found they were all OK. A common fault is the module showing an erroneous Code 30.

Found a guy in Auckland, Auto Electronic Services, Ph 027 472 2287 who was familiar with this and sent the module to him. Have now got it back, seems to be working fine. Cost $164 all up.

There are a number of repairers overseas who charge a lot more and I'm sure there are others in NZ but this guy was good to deal with.

If I'd replaced the sensor would have still had problem and been $285 wasted.