Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

Removing Mtech 1 Spoiler

So it appears it is glued on? As well as the 6 10mm nuts.

The thing will just not budge, I have a sharp plastic knife that doesn't even help. Could I pour turps or something under it to dissolve the glue?

Or any other advice from experienced ones would be great.

(I'm doing some rust murdering and repainting the black foam bit, faded and chipping)

My standard spoiler had been silconed to the bootlid, maybe try a knife underneath between the lid and the spoiler, failing that try turps I say (or silcone disolver if yours has suffered the same fate.

with my evo 4 spoler i socked it in turps then took and piece of fishing real and did it that way if it makes sence there might be a easier way..

is that the white bootlid by any chance:P?

Yeah the plastic knife (as to not ruin the lachsilber) wasn't helping. Would turps hurt the paint work at all? I'm guessing no..

with my evo 4 spoler i socked it in turps then took and piece of fishing real and did it that way if it makes sence there might be a easier way..

is that the white bootlid by any chance:P?

Ahh good good, you have tried the turps. No paint damage eh? Fishing line is a gold idea! Nice

So it appears it is glued on? As well as the 6 10mm nuts.

The thing will just not budge, I have a sharp plastic knife that doesn't even help. Could I pour turps or something under it to dissolve the glue?

Or any other advice from experienced ones would be great.

(I'm doing some rust murdering and repainting the black foam bit, faded and chipping)

The way I did the one's on my last cars was:

1) Remove bolts & clips where possible.

2) Attack with your spirits of choice where possible.

3) Higher tensile fishing line wound around bits of wood (or if you've got some good gloves)

4) Aggression :D

/Edit - Oops looks like someone already beat me to the fishing wire trick.

Edited by Mattzy

Yes yes yes. Excellent. Thanks anyway for that :D

I've already heard a crack trying to pull the thing off. I'm going to stop for today.

To go one step better than the fishing line use plastic packing strips, the stuff they wrap boxes with. Go to a fridge shop or the like and score some. From experience it works much better cause its rough and cuts through whatever is underneath.

To go one step better than the fishing line use plastic packing strips, the stuff they wrap boxes with. Go to a fridge shop or the like and score some. From experience it works much better cause its rough and cuts through whatever is underneath.

Builders use it too, think is called "Danband"

For future-search reference:

The gummy glue is only around each of the studs on the spolier. About 4-5cm diameter. It is a bitch.

Hair drier to warm it up will help, heat gun is ok too but it can get too hot for the paint.

It would be impossible to get the heat through the actual spoiler onto the glue..