Sign in to follow this  
volcanoblack

Removing wax from stone chips

Hi All,

The 325i that I bought a few months ago has a ton of stone chips that I want to touch up. I bought some touchup paint in a small tube (with a useless brush) and will use a fine artist's brush. My only problem/question is that the previous owner used a electric buffer and waxed the car when he put it up for sale and ALL the chips now have a tan wax in them (at least that's what it looks like).

So, my question is, how would you suggest I clean the wax out of the chips before I retouch them?

I am thinking electric toothbrush but do not want to scratch the paint around the chips. What do you think? Anyone done this?

Cheers.

Clay bar....sorted.

I'll trust your recommendation if you truly think this will work.

The problem is that the cleaner/polish/wax is IN the stone chips which is below the surface level of the paint. As I understand clay, it is gently moved across the surface of the paint, no pressure, and will remove surface contaminants.

Somehow I don't think of the gunk in the chips as being on the surface.

Will the clay bar really pick this stuff up out of the chips?

And another problem comes to mind - won't the clay bar actually catch the edges of the chips and get stuck in there too?

Just want to double check before I go and buy clay and lubricant etc. to find out it's not the solution.

Thanks.

Give degreaser a go before you go out and buy the relatively expensive clay. With the clay getting stuck in the stone chips, just use degreaser to get it out when your done. Just dont get any degreaser on the clay block cause itl ruin it. gl

Use Prepsol wax and grease remover, Its what painters use on cars before laying a base coat. Its safe on paint and cleans all contaminants.