Sign in to follow this  
hbmonkeyman

E30 Projektz maybee..

Hey guys.. just thinking about a possible project.. So for now i'm just wondering if a M42 would fit inside an E30 M40 engine bay with much ease?

Sam.

What happened to your 87 320i Manual?

Ohh i ended up having to sell it to pay off some fines.. bought something cheaper and more reliable after that lol but i've just got me an alright job and i was thinking about doing something cool lol

I prolly should change my sig and Display pics but.. well i'm just too lazy lol

As much as i've read, (smart people will correct me)

an M42 from a e36 is a bit of work, and a waste of time (it's a 1.8 after all)

and M42's from E30's are rare?

would be easier to drop in an M20B25?

or an M50 :D

As much as i've read, (smart people will correct me)

an M42 from a e36 is a bit of work, and a waste of time (it's a 1.8 after all)

and M42's from E30's are rare?

would be easier to drop in an M20B25?

or an M50 :D

Oh wow really? thought it would be much harder to drop in a 6cyl.. But i wouldn't know lol but yeah my plan is to make a hardcore turbocharged open-roader out of it and thought the DOHC 4cyl would be a good base.

Guest FrantiC

m40 to m20 is more of a downgrade..

Though the m20b25 has abit more power, the m40 is a DOHC lightweight higher revving motor and it's more up to date , going back to a m20b25 is kind of a waste. If your really set on a project do an m50m52 swap.

M42 seems kind of pointless.

It doesn't matter what the motor is, the subframe / mounts etc are all the same in e30's. Whether it be m10,m20, m40 powered.. And the bonus you have is the m40 version of the Getrag 240 which fits the m50 direct bolt up and won't change your shifter pattern (due to the m50 being tilted 10 degrees more than the m20).

Plenty of write ups out there for the swap too.

Edited by FrantiC

m40 to m20 is more of a downgrade..

Though the m20b25 has abit more power, the m40 is a DOHC lightweight higher revving motor and it's more up to date , going back to a m20b25 is kind of a waste. If your really set on a project do an m50m52 swap.

M42 seems kind of pointless.

It doesn't matter what the motor is, the subframe / mounts etc are all the same in e30's. Whether it be m10,m20, m40 powered.. And the bonus you have is the m40 version of the Getrag 240 which fits the m50 direct bolt up and won't change your shifter pattern (due to the m50 being tilted 10 degrees more than the m20).

Plenty of write ups out there for the swap too.

Hmm i thought the M40 was SOHC? That's why i opted for the M42. Because i thought a DOHC 16 valve would be a better choice for tuning..

Guest FrantiC

Hmm i thought the M40 was SOHC? That's why i opted for the M42. Because i thought a DOHC 16 valve would be a better choice for tuning..

Oh true your right.. Man I know nothing about 318i's lol. Maybe the m42 was in the "318is", i spend too much time reading on U.S forums <_<

Haha it is. M40 is SOHC, M42 is DOHC. There's a few M42 Turbos around making around 300hp.