Sign in to follow this  
Jaymzw

Top radiator hose

Hey guys,

Im new to the forum, and i recently purchased a 316i E30.

Today the top radiator hose popped off, car didnt get very hot though, i spotted it real quick which im happy bout. How easy do the heads blow in these? It didnt get close to red at all, and there was still about 2L est left in the radiator.

So my question is, do you think i should replace the hose or the radiator or both?

Radiator piece seemed a little rotten, but not really sure. Havent got the car here, just parked it up and left it.

the headgaskets are as easy to blow as alot of any other cars, if it didnt get THAT hot then your probably ok.

Well as to replace the radiator or not is entirely up to you, if i were you i would remove the radiator, flush it out with a hose, in both directions, and see if it is very blocked. put the hose in where one of the rad hoses would go and see if there is as much water coming out as going in.

One problem with the M40 radiators, is that the top plastic fitting the hose goes over quite often breaks as they get older. If this has happened, get a new one, they are around $250 ish I think, aftermarket?