Sign in to follow this  
vyking56

Navigation System - 99 E39

My navigation is all set to English, but I only have the Japanese DVD. Is it just a matter of acquiring a NZ DVD, or does the system require further reprogramming / retuning?

And if just the DVD is required, how easily and pricey would it be to acquire such a disk?

Thanks... again!

No & yes in that order.

PM Grant-Hotwire-he be the man to sort you out.

Do a search Gareth, all the information youre after is on the forum already. Basically anything from either Jochen or Grant (Hotwire) is what you'll be interested in.

If you do go through with it I may have a Mark4 nav computer for sale in the near future ;)

My navigation is all set to English, but I only have the Japanese DVD. Is it just a matter of acquiring a NZ DVD, or does the system require further reprogramming / retuning?

And if just the DVD is required, how easily and pricey would it be to acquire such a disk?

The ex-Japan cars have an Alpine Japanese nav system in them

The Alpine nav drive (in the boot) has to be removed and replaced with a VDO nav drive for the system to work in NZ.

Whole of the world - except Japan - uses the VDO system

Only the ex-Japan cars need this conversion to make the nav work.

After replacement of the nav drive, the nav system is identical to the NZ-new cars (except that no NZ-new E39s were sold with nav, but that's another story)

anyway, can be done, I've done loads, if you're into DIY and are handy with working on cars and soldering wires you can do it yourself, otherwise see Grant (hotwire) and he'll give you an offer to do the lot at his work.

Thanks jochen,

I had a chat to Grant about this the other day, who was very helpful. I guess I was more wanting to know specifically what needed replacing and how easy it would be. Being completely ignorant to what was required I had a price figure in my head, but now knowing the full story I dont see it as a cost effective exercise so will be steering clear of the conversion - especially only having a 4:3 screen.

Thanks again everyone for your help and clarification :)